http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/10102823/Driver-crashes-250k-Bugatti-and-walks-away-for-a-beer.html

Series of photos of a Bugatti crash, shows why you SHOULD have a roll cage,full harnesses and a firewall if competing. Hell...you need them for the public roads as well.

Relatively slow speed corner wheel digs in and the drivers helmet is being crushed against the car, lots of drivers will say asthetically you can't make these older cars safe, maybe we need to think this out again !

Mick Richards

Hi Mick

Life isn't a risk-free environment. Nor should it be.

Blokes who drive pre-war cars in competition understand the risks and accept them. No problem.

It's a different matter for relative novices taking part in track days or practice days, for example, in more mundane cars - like our TRs.

That's why the likes of me and thee bang on about sensible precautions and doing more than the necessary minimum - and all credit to Kev and his team for maintaining a TR tradition from the 70s at Blyton.

Vintagents are another matter, we need living fossils.

Cheers

Alec

Seatbelts for horses

helmets for golf

dry suit with compressed air bottles for sailing

full protectors for playing soccer

you can pimp any sport with safety issues.

chees

chris

Hi Chris,

Some sensible precautions there, I understand horses don't even have brakes ! and as for full protectors for football I've often thought why not ? very painfull...don't ask.

Mick Richards

Competition cars need roll bars/cages, The asthetic is that a car that will be used to compete will have a fast engine, good brakes and a roll over bar. No arguements no roll bar- no competition.

Get used to it

At least you will be alive to complain

Fast road cars which people drive with verve need the same

TRs are "sports cars"

Michael H

• 2 weeks later...

I think these guys from vscc and others are very brave but don't want to spoil the cars with too many safety features, let alone the problems of attaching a roll cage to a wooden bodied car and its very flexible chassis hiding underneath, not much of a base to plant a roll cage on!!

I am sure they straightaway think its just not vintage racing and except the risks, I don't think I would compete in an open car anyway, a Tr with hardtop and full cage yes, but not an open one with a roll cage. Coming from the discipline of Rallying we are not even allowed to have our windows open on a stage!! (but if they don't see you!!)

John Worthing

Edited by TR24178
......, a Tr with hardtop and full cage yes, but not an open one with a roll cage. .....

A hardtop on a TR is pretty useless in case of an accident.

If you roll, on the first roll the hardtop is gone and danger other drivers and you have from that second on an open top TR :D

cheers

Chris

Edited by MadMarx

I'll stick to rallying then in a closed car, I was thing of a steel hard top!

John Worthing