TR4A - fuel pump pipe to front carb

Have just ordered a replacement pipe from Rimmer Bros and the diameter of the copper pipe they have sent is smaller than the original

Will this affect the performance of the pump/carbs or is the pipe diameter incidental?

They have included a union nut and olive at each end of the pipe even though the pipe only requires one nut/olive to screw into the fuel pump outlet (AC mechanical)

Before I start shaping the new copper pipe - any thoughts / advice please?

Thank you very much

Nick

Hi Nick,

the pipe into the carb is 1/4" dia. therefore you need a 1/4" pipe from the pump so that the rubber connector will fit.

Few rubber pipes are 1/4 at one end and 5/16 at the other.

Make sure that the level of the copper pipe that runs along the rocker cover is slightly uphill towards the front - to allow air to flow uphill.

If you are going to fit an inline filter anywhere you need to think about this before bending/cutting/screeming and crying.

I have a horizontal glass filter fitted in the run over the top of the alternator.

Roger

Thanks Roger

Interesting coz the pipe I took off the car was 5/16" bore - wonder if the bore was oversized whether it was contributing to my "carb floodding" problems I had

Looks like they've sent me the right pipe anyway @ 1/4"!

Good point about the inline filter - had a look on E Bay, millions of them! What you using on your car?

Nick

Hi Nick,

most people fit a 5/16" pipe from pump to carb because the outlet of the pump has a fitting that takes 5/16" pipe as the norm.

A 1/4" pipe union is available if you look for it. The problem, as I mentioned, with the 5/16" pipe is marrying up to the carb pipe - which is a 1/4".

The carb shouldn't flood due to the larger pipe. However if it did flood it would be biblical.

I use the glass filter with the chrome )removable) ends. These take 1/4 or 5/16 pipe. It would be nice if they had a screw end thus removing all the rubber from the system.

Roger

Hi Nick,

most people fit a 5/16" pipe from pump to carb because the outlet of the pump has a fitting that takes 5/16" pipe as the norm.

A 1/4" pipe union is available if you look for it. The problem, as I mentioned, with the 5/16" pipe is marrying up to the carb pipe - which is a 1/4".

The carb shouldn't flood due to the larger pipe. However if it did flood it would be biblical.

I use the glass filter with the chrome )removable) ends. These take 1/4 or 5/16 pipe. It would be nice if they had a screw end thus removing all the rubber from the system.

Roger

Roger, how often do you replace the element on the glass tube, I had one of these and it closed up after about 18 months use. You could not see it was blocked but I could hardly blow through it and it caused the engine to stop.

I've had mine fitted for a little less than 2 years. Fuel is still flowing through very well.

I also have the filter in the pump filter bowl fitted so as to remove the big stuff.

I understand that they can be taken to pieces and cleaned

Roger