Cooling System Flush

My car 'boiled over' which I think was due to the electric fan not 'kicking-in'. I removed the thermostat to check it and it appeared to function ok. I then thought I might as well drain and flush the system and so followed normal procedures i.e. removing bottom hose of radiator and engine block drain plug and opened up heater fully. However when I put the garden hose into the aperture of the thermostat housing to flush I was expecting the water to come out of the engine block drain plug - but it did'nt! Do you need to have the engine running in order that the water pump circulates the water around the system (I thought the force of the hose would be sufficient?)? All water that emitted from engine and radiator was clear by the way! Look forward to a simple answer!

Take the block tap out and insert a bit of stiff wire in the hole to clear the debris that is blocking it.

Stuart.

Had the same problem & used an old wire coat hanger as Stuart suggests, took a bit of shifting but it cleared in the end.

If I were you, I'd also gently flush the heater matrix out then take the radiator out & back flush that, I think you'll be surprised at how much **** will come out..........I was!

If you flush everything then you shouldn't have a problem!

Good luck

Nick.