Bodged up Croshaft Fork

Hi All,

Got one of my mates Tr in my garage, we are carrying out a few jobs to his car, one of which is

a poorly clutch. :mellow:

Gearbox came out yesterday and thought i would show you a picture of what absolute Bodges can be carried out

clearly by those who havent a clue what they are doing

The fork taper pin was totaly fractured and poped oyt without issue leaving 3/4 of it behind.

Check out this weld !!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is the point of that :mellow::mellow::angry::angry:

d1478ec1-1aa6-48c6-9bec-14e64047f80a_zps

DSC_1029_zps7f955855.jpg

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi Guy,

this was probably welded insitu - either through a hole (have got a hole) or by slightly splitting the eng/gearbox and welding through the gap as a get you on your way type lash up.

As you say - interesting weld.

Roger

Hi Guy,

this was probably welded insitu - either through a hole (have got a hole) or by slightly splitting the eng/gearbox and welding through the gap as a get you on your way type lash up.

As you say - interesting weld.

Roger

Roger,

Interesting point, but no holes in Bell Housing.

Petes going to have a look in the history file that came with it, which was quite extensive, see what comes up.

The car was imported to the Rock recently , so one of you lot on the mainland is responsible for that :o:lol:

New shaft and fork on its way, which will be fitted with a lapped in taper pin and secondary roll pin;

Cheers

Guy

Flywheel is another... gearbox replaced 38 k ago Flywheell is crazed and cracked

Hi Guy

Looks like my old mates "Bodgit & Scarper" have been at work again.

I don't know whether it was on the forum I read the tip, but when I did mine I fitted 2 bushes each side in the bell housing where the shaft rotates.

All the best

John

Hi Guy

Looks like my old mates "Bodgit & Scarper" have been at work again.

I don't know whether it was on the forum I read the tip, but when I did mine I fitted 2 bushes each side in the bell housing where the shaft rotates.

All the best

John

Hi John,

There was one 10 mm wide split bush each side, we fitted bronze bushes about 1 inch long each side off the bell,

lovely.

We will be fitting an additional Roll pin into the fork /crosshaft

Cheers

Guy

I would guess that someone had a clutch disengagement problem, removed the trans., found that the fork pin was broken, and had no idea as to how to remove it. Quick,cheap and easy solution-weld the fork in place.

Probably followed by "Let's sell the car to an exporter for an exhorbitant price, who will ship back to its place of birth (kind of a form of revenge)."

Berry

Someone had done exactly the same thing to mine.

I found that the bronze bush behind the release bearing was the wrong size (not long enough).

Probably when someone had had the thing to bits, they fitted the wrong bush, but compensated for the difference by welding the fork to the crosh shaft.

It took some diagnosing to find the problem, when I fitted a new clutch assembly, new cross shaft, and fork, then found that I still had no clutch disengagement!

Had the gearbox in and out about 4 times before the penny dropped and I realised that the release bearing bush was the wrong one.

Mine is a UK car, and has been here all its life, so some nameless bodge smith it responsible, I wonder if it was the same one?

Someone had done exactly the same thing to mine.

I found that the bronze bush behind the release bearing was the wrong size (not long enough).

Probably when someone had had the thing to bits, they fitted the wrong bush, but compensated for the difference by welding the fork to the crosh shaft.

It took some diagnosing to find the problem, when I fitted a new clutch assembly, new cross shaft, and fork, then found that I still had no clutch disengagement!

Had the gearbox in and out about 4 times before the penny dropped and I realised that the release bearing bush was the wrong one.

Mine is a UK car, and has been here all its life, so some nameless bodge smith it responsible, I wonder if it was the same one?

You never know <_< He could even be a visitor to this forum :o

Cheers

GUY