TR4 A FUEL, TEMP. OIL, AMP. GUAGES.

Thought I would clean up the small gauges, glass / chrome bezels. The gauges are all Jaeger flat glass , except for the Ampere gauge which is Lucas.

The glasses ' appear ' to be stuck to the gauges even when the bezels are removed? Except the Lucas gauge which was straight forward to remove and clean.

Could it be that over the years the Jaeger gauges get ' gunged' up a bit and require some persuasion ?? Can we still get the flat gauges glass , should I need to?

Cheers all

Bob

Warm them gently with a hot-air gun on half power. Will soften sticky stuff holding the glass.

A drop of white spirit will dissolve most sticky things. It wont dissolve the dial-paint.

For years I used Hellerine to free things locked by rubber. This is a special lubricant used to fit rubber sleeves over wires.

Olive oil would be a close approximation. Use only a few tiny drops. Maybe apply by dipping a toothpick in and just picking up a smear.

Keep em' warm over night. In the moring the glass will probably walk off.

Prise apart with a sharp scalpel blade using a "lifting action". Work around prising as you go.

Some risk of bent needles, cracked paint, broken glass but lots of guys manage to do this OK.

Al.

A RESULT!

Left the gauges on the radiator overnight with a drop of WD, this morning " heh presto " the glasses just popped off! Big change from last night! The neoprene seal around the glass does get rock solid after 45 years! Hope this helps others.

Glasses and gauges gleeming, as new!

Cheers

Bob.

If you still have the dials apart, cleaning the bezel with Duraglit is also a good idea.

The rubber seals for the glass to gauge and the rubber seals between gauge and dashboard are available from Speedy Cables www.speedycables.com. A minimum order will possibly apply (it used to be £10, but that was 10 years ago).

I am merely a satisfied customer.

TT

Edited by tthomson