TR8 : she is alive !

Years ago, I've started a topic here about a carb TR8 that I have to rebuilt in my very few spare time.

The news of the day is that she is, at last, alive !

I still have a few details to sort out (where can I find this damn engine flame trap crancked hose to "Y" connector -on the right hand rocker cover- ?), but she is alive, and I'm happy B)

Here are some details of the rebuilt :

Engine :

- crank reground,

- new shells,

- new rings,

- new timing chain, sprockets, etc...,

- new camshaft, slightly milder,

- new oil pump,

- air pump and injectors discarded,

- recycling stuf (canister...) discarded,

- etc...

Suspensions :

- everything dismantled, sand blasted, with several coats of protective paint and a smooth black finish,

- 4 Spax shocks,

- polyurethan bushes everywhere, including front subframe (renewed aswell)

Brackes :

- new uprated servo + master cylinder

- new rear wheel cylinders,

- 3 new braided hoses,

Air con discarded, new radiator and water pump + all belts, new hi-torque starter, new stainless steel exhaust, new fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel gauge, new clutch hydraulics + braided hose (silicon fluid used), new clutch kit, the list goes on and on.....

Due to the air con discarding, I've made a special loom for the 2 originals electric fans, with a 2 levels censor in the radiator, allowing the fan to work separatly, the second starting later if the first can't cope with the engine heat, I'll, hopefully (if we have some warm weather...), see how it work next summer !

The last thing I'll have to do is to repair the power assisted rack : this is the only thing I haven't touch, i was expecting this to work properly, as it was already newly rebuilt when i've bought the car in England, but it leaks.

Edited by Chris59

Day 2 is not as good as expected : heater coolant leak detected, I'll remove the dash to replace the radiator and copper hoses (the usuals o'rings...).

Pics may follow, Alan.

Hi Chris,

Another on breathes again :)

The seals can be difficult to get hold off, Robsport and S&S Prep do an alternative, the pipes are part of the matrix doing away with the seals forever -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR7-TR8-HEATER-MATRIX-New-Improved-Part-Dont-need-seals-/290833387419?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43b7054f9b

also check the pipes as they rot out too,replaced mine with stainless one's.

Lets see some pictures !

Cheers John

Chris,

The hose from the Y pipe to the flame trap should be available from Rimmers or worth trying your landrover parts stockists as they will probably have one in their old parts bin.

As John says the new heater matrixes are slightly different because they have now done away with the leaking rubber seals - you could get this done at your local radiator reconditioners and get them to solder two new pipes on for you.

Great to hear of another 8 coming back to life.

Regards

Ian

John and Ian, back to life, yes, then back to the garage !

No major problem today, but :

- the gearbox is noisy (I've fill it up with Dexron/ATF, as usually with SD1 5 speed gearboxes). No excessive worry about this, they are easy to rebuilt if necessary, and i've some spare parts,

- one of the belts, albeit new, is noisy (the pulleys are perfectly aligned and not damaged) , i'll try another one,

- the fuel gauge in the dashboard is dead,

- the leak at the heater is confirmed.

I'll not have the time to touch this car before late January, so repairs are postponed.

About the radiator, I usually do this kind of stuff myself : new "tailor made" copper matrix, stainless steel pipes to bulckhead are on my list !

Sorry again, but no pictures yet.

Edited by Chris59

Dear Alec,

I may be wrong, but ATF is recommended in the workshop manual for the SD1 gearbox ?

But, as I know that you know what you are talking about with the "shape of things to come", I'll try to source some of this Motul locally, and fill the 8' gearbox.

Hi Chris,

the Motul recommendation was from the late Ken Tomlinson, the man who built all the 'works' LT77 boxes at BL Competitions - and who probably knew more about the LT77 gearbox than everyone else put together. He carried on rebuilding boxes for the 'ex-works' cars after his retirement, but sadly he passed away last year.

Ken wasn't exactly keen on anything French, that he used Motul at all was quite out of character and confirmed it was the best for the 'box.

The workshop manual recommendation for ATF is complete garbage - the criteria for the recommendation was simply that ATF gave the lightest gearchange cold. Marketing triumphing over mechanics. The stuff was utterly useless, but as long as the TR7 or SD1 gearbox lasted for the 12K miles warranty, that was sufficient. Put ATF into a powerful V8 and drive the car hard, the gearbox will last a few hundred miles at most. Maybe 5-10% of the working life with Motul.

I'll tell you about the factory testing that led to ATF over a beer one day . . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Alec I can't agree with you on the unsuitability of AFT for most gearboxes.

To start with my 7, which is a fairly good one has been running Penrite semi synthetic AFT for 10 years, & 60,000 Km.

The real test however is the 8. We have a ZF auto from a 90 BMW V8, set up with a 2500RPM stall. Yes my son had a drag racing period.

This is behind a 4.6L competition Rover, putting out about 330 BHP. This is enough for it to get into the low 13 second quarters. It is no shrinking violet. Again we have been using Penrite semi synthetic AFT in it for 7 years, quite a bit of competition, & over 30,000Km road driving.

In case you think the road driving is gentle work, come & see how my son treats cars. He spat out 3 standard diffs in 3000Km, before I fitted something tougher. This being the case I believe AFT is quite OK, provided you buy the good stuff.

Hasbeen