TR6 original front indicator/side light

Hi - Can you advise what markings should be on the TR6 front indicator/side light lense

The repro ones from MOSS have no markings on them , but i beleive they maybe should have LUCAS and various numbers on the lense .

I have the chance to purchase a NOS lense from France and it shows no markings- I guess i was wondering whether some export markets had no markings on the lense??

how do u tell an original lense from one of MOSS,s new ones

any ideas welcome

thanks Dave

An original lens, no matter what market it was destined for, would have had the usual markings moulded in.

If it doesn't have them, it isn't an original, simple as that.

The lens in question may well be NOS, but a repro item of many years ago rather than the current production or original Lucas.

Cheers

Alec

Dave,

See image below of an original and a repro. There is no discernable difference when you see them together. As you can see the markings on the original are England and Lucas at the top, the E makings of 1E11 6120 and AE 11 7125 below, also SAE IP 68 and the lens part no L827. Both left and right lenses have the same markings as do the USA spec lens surprisingly.

If it is a modern repro (upper lens in the image) I wouldn't be worried , if an earlier repro I would steer clear as the colour is washed out

cheers

Derek

P1010490.jpg

Edited by saffrontr

Very right Derek, but these days it's sometimes very hard to find 2 lenses displaying exactly the same colour :( . You better buy them over the counter to compare, and even than both lenses may wash out differently with time

In the mean time I changed lenses on my 6... 4 times and after about 5 years I always end up with different shades :angry:

Just a thought here but don't lenses need to be E marked or does that not apply to cars of our age?

Graham

**************************************************************************************************

Vehicles first used before 1 September 1965 may have direction indicators incorporated with stop lamps, or combined with side or rear lamps, in which case front indicators may be white and rear indicators red.

Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens.

Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an ‘E’ mark in a circle or an ‘e’ mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5.

However, some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicle’s rear bumper with the indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

I must say that I thought so but, in practice, I have never seen an MOT tester look for markings. However, from the above it would seem that indicators don't have to have markings anyway.

Thanks Chris,

For anyone interested the regs can be found on the following website. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/7/made

It does appear that the lenses need to be amber for motor vehicles made between 1st September 1965 and 1st April 1986 however as Chris has noted no need for E markings.

cheers

Derek