Surrey sticks

Just finishing off fitting Surrey top to my TR4. One of the items I've had to buy new is the H frame Purchased from Moss. Is the tensioning at the rear really as crude as it looks?

The holes in my rear frame aren't threaded but are obviously pitched to accept the rearward facing studs on the H Frame. The frame also comes with a couple of nyloc nuts. Am I to assume that one positions the frame in place and tightens it in by turning those nuts down the stud until they push against the rear frame?

Fraid so !!!!! I added a coupe of washers and a hollow t nut on each so that i could spin it up tight against the alloy frame without grinding it away. Locating the push in rods at the front in new rubbers also works well and makes it a little better.

Happy surrey topping!

Regards

Tony

thanks Tony. I think I'll try bonding some fibre or rubber washers to the face of the nut in the hope of preserving the frame. I suppose another possibility would be to fabricate a washer with a flange that goes into the holes and then bond that in and paint it?

The big challenge is getting the vinyl section to remain firmly lipped under the leading edge of the screen capping! The new one i got was far too tight against the screen top and new screen rubber-so beware! Find it easier to carry a rug!

Rob.

I've found there's no point getting the top tight as a comfortable fit seems to flap less anyway - the wind will pull the fabric high above the frame at speed, and the closer to the sticks the more flapping I got. Have also had difficulties shoving the steel-banded front lip under the capping piece, though on another car it's been no problem.

The soft tops are notorious for peeling out from under the capping piece atop the windscreen, especially while raining, and at 60+ mph. What worked for me was to slightly lower the door window, which seemed to relieve the pressure differential; thence 80+ mph with no problem.

All in all, the soft top has seen perhaps 1% of the usage the hardtop gets; it makes for good insurance while the lid is off, mainly! :)