Help - Refitting washers to sidescreen Dzus fasteners

Is there a trick to removing but more particularly replacing the dished retaining washer on the Dzus fasteners on the sidescreen arms? Took them off when repainting the sidescreen arms.

To remove them I had to bend the washers and lever them off with pliers. Reversed the process to reinstall them on the fasteners but half of them simply drop off with use no doubt because the dishing has been mangled. So, how do I get the washers on the fastener in a way that doesn't damage them and so that they stay on?

Miles

Hi Miles,

The washers that you removed are most likely dead.

With new ones fitted with the dome facing out you use a socket or fractionally oversize tube and compress the washer with for example a G clamp. This process reverses the dome in the washer and locks it onto the waisted section of the fastner.

Hi Rod

Many thanks. I think I have got that but it's a 2 stage process.

First, need to get new washer onto the fastener. Presumably, I sit the washer, flare down and outwards. on top of the flange at the non-head end of the Dzus. Place a socket on the washer and use a G clamp to force the washer over the flange and onto the waist of the fastener. At that point the flare on the washer needs to be reversed to sit against the flange.

Second, reverse the above. Socket over the head of the Dzus, G clamp on socket and flange-end of Dzus, tighten up and the flange pushes against the washer, which is sat against the sidescreen arm, reversing the flare, so that it sits against the flange.

If that is not correct (and someone doesn't have a diagram) I will just have a go without wasting everyones time as I can see that describing this process could be a challenge!

Miles

PS should have painted the arms without removing the Dzus fasteners!!

Hi Miles,

If you are having problems getting the washer over the end of the Dzus fastener I suspect the "jaws" of the Dzus have opened up slightly. They should be an interference fit not require much force to get them over to the waisted part, or youn have the wrong washers. As they invert sightly the internal diameter reduces to fit the waisted section.

Rgds

Rod

Thanks Brian.

I think my problem was reusing old washers. As the Moss catalogue explains, the washers have a 11mm internal diameter hole which reduces to 10 mm when flattened. Clearly, the internal hole does not revert to 11m on removal. Hence, my struggling to refix the washers effectively. New ones to be ordered. Another small TR lesson learnt.

Miles

I do not fit them to save damage

Yes but its a pain when the Dzus drops out and rolls under the seat. :wacko:

Stuart.