TR3a Rear wheel cylinders - third spring plate

I recently have had the need( a long story) to replace my two rear brake slave cylinders.

All has gone pretty well until I came to fit the third and final spring clip that locks the cylinder to the back plate. This is the short one that has to slide past the handbrake lever creating an obtuse angle of attack.

I have done this many times before on other cars including my TR5 and not lost fingers or patience.

Any ideas how these little ba***rds go in?

10 points for AlanR ! :)

Put the 3rd one on first, the 1st one on second and the 2nd one on third (sliding in between the two already fitted). I use a little copper grease to help the whole lot slide along the backplate as smoothly as possible.

Don´t forget to put the rubber protector over the handbrake lever before attaching the cable. I realise i´ve forgotten it as soon as I fit the split-pin, almost every time ! :rolleyes:

Edited by 2SwissTriumphs

Thanks Guys,

Sound completely illogical and not mentioned in any of the workshop books i have,all diagrams also showing 1,2,3. ;)

But,thinking about it,it makes complete sense and is an (almost) obvious and simple solution. :P

Will try it out this Sunday.

You have to love the forum - ta again.

This may be a clue to my rear brakes, which are in constant need of adjustment. Where are the diagrams showing the numbers? I think that mine are correctly installed but this detailed instruction would be very useful.

Please let me know where I can find it ?

Thanks

Richard,

I don't think it's possible to fit these plates the wrong way.

(I've tried often enough!)

Although I suppose the smallest plate could be fitted the

wrong way up. Or even left off!

33 goes on first

35 & 36 are sprung and slightly curved, so they lock into each other.

Both have small tabs at the ends of the legs and both have two small

cut-outs at the other end.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100