Door mirror placement

I've decided I need door mirrors, I've bought them (Tex satin black) and now it's time to fit them but where?? Some cars seem to have them quite far forward on the doors, others about 4 inches back. Where is the "right" place? Some measurements or photos or original fitting instructions from Triumph would be good, I am nervous enough about drilling into my nice freshly painted doors as it is.

What does the collective think?

Thanks

I have bullit mirrors with convex lenses. Mine start about 1 inch back from the front of the door and about 1.5 ins down from the top. I sat in the car and positioned them to suit my needs first then drilled the holes.Suggest you do something similar

I've got the wedge shaped Sebring Mirrors as used on F1 cars of the period (early 1970's) they look far more sporty than those chrome 'Earoles' most TR6 owners fit. Also the 'Bullit' shaped racing ones are really 1960's, not 70's or 80's, just MHO. :ph34r:

Were later TR6's ever supplied new with door mirrors? My early CP car certainly wasn't!

Edited by Denis

Mine is an early CR, built 14th Dec 72 (so I've been able to get tax free status).

The main reason I want some coordinates to fit these mirrors is that I do not want to drill holes in the wrong place and clash with some internal door structure. I have a history of drilling in the wrong place so now subscribe to the "measure twice cut once" school of thought!

• 2 weeks later...

I kept searching and found a suggestion that 6 inches from the leading edge of the door and 2.5 inches down from the top of the door was a good place to start - this is pretty much where I have put them. I am pleased to report that all went well despite my nervousness - it's not natural to drill new paint.

I went for satin black Tex with anti-dazzle glass and the plastic plinths, they seem pretty solid, look OK next to the yellow paint and work well, I can see behind me on both sides. I just need a new rear view mirror without an impact mark on it now! A PO must have dropped it :-(