Studs in rear trailing arm corroded.

Hi guys, bit of advice please.......

I am slowly rebuilding my 6 and am at the stage of refurbing the rear suspension and drive chain, unfortunately two of the six studs holding the rear driveshaft to the trailing arm have corroded/reacted inside the alloy TA and stripped out the thread inside the TA...........is there a way of fixing this or do i need to look for a replacement TA?

Many thanks

Adrian

Adrian

think this is reasonably common and I believe you can helicoil them or alternativley retap using a UNC thread and not the rather silly UNF one. Have a search on this forum as know there are alread suggestions with detail. No doubt Stuart or one of the other boys can recommend one of the above solutions with the pros and cons. Its definatley doable and not expensive.

Hi Adrian

As Robin says it is common.

I had a similar problem with mine and I used a Helicoil type set to redo the threads (to UNC) and put a new stud that was UNC on one side and UNF on the other. This means you can still use the UNF bolts but the UNC is stronger in the trailing arm. I did it myself - it is reasonably easy. What you have to do though is make sure that you drill the TA out perfectly straight. If you don't drill the hole correctly the stud will not go in straight and you will struggle to fit it all back together. I used an old hub unit to make sure I drilled it straight. Bolt the hub up with one of the good studs and use the holes to drill through for the Helicoil.

You can buy special jigs for this, but I think they are in the USA and will be expensive to ship.

I'm sure someone else will be able to explain it better.

Good Luck

Roger

For Helicoil sets these are very good value. http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Master_Thread_Repair_Sets.html

Roger has summed up the rest of it perfectly. Just remember even with new studs Helicoiled in the torque on the studs when you refit the hub is only 16lbs.

Stuart.

Guys....many thanks....I have researched the previous posts and believe this is something i can tackle.....are you able to guide me to the exact kit and studs i will need or is it just a case of ring 'moss' tomorrow and they will supply a kit??

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

the studs are listed in the back of the Moss catalogue amonst the nut/screws/washer & bolts.

Make sure you can get all the bits before buying (UNC/UNF studs, UNC Helicoil etc).

Keeping the stud square in the hole is the most important operation.

Do one hole at a time keeping the alignment hub attached by as many studs/nuts as possible.

Roger

FWIW UNF helicoil when used in this application will take around 60ftlbs before giving up. So you can still use the original style studs.

Stuart.