Oil pressure relief valve

Second thread today, I love this site!

Looking back through various threads regarding oil pressure, mine's a wee bit low when hot on tickover (15-20psi @ 850 rpm), consenus was to look at the plunger & spring for wear etc.

So, this I did & found that the plunger shaft had score marks half way down the shaft that mirrored the spring, the head of the plunger seemed fine. I can only think that the shaft & spring are original & this is normal?

I also measured the spring, 38mm where the brown bible & forum members say it should be 40mm. To be fair, the brown bible does say 'approx'.

Reading through old threads, members have placed a thin washer inbetween the spring & plunger head which I copied today, the total length of the spring & washer was just a tad below 40mm.

Oil pressure was understandably higher on start up & also when hot sat at 25psi (hot on tickover) & ran at just over 55psi hot at 2500 rpm.

I'm going to order from TRGB a new spring, washer & plunger just as a matter of course...........unless you think otherwise?

Appreciate everyone's input as always.

Nick.

Hi Nick,

I your place I only go for a new spring, the valve are seated in the block and lapping-in on each other.

It is the same as you renew a head valve without grinding them in with the seat, they leak!

Regards,

Rien

If you're going to replace the spring, replace the valve also and if you've got an oil cooler make sure the spring is the uprated version. I did this a couple of months back and now get, with the engine hot, 25-30 psi at tickover (850 -900 rpm) and 80psi at 2000 rpm. At start up, when cold, I get around 90 psi on fast idle. I spoke to Gary at TRGB, and as usual, the bits arrived the following morning.

Edited by JohnTB

If you're going to replace the spring, replace the valve also and if you've got an oil cooler make sure the spring is the uprated version. I did this a couple of months back and now get, with the engine hot, 25-30 psi at tickover (850 -900 rpm) and 80psi at 2000 rpm. At start up, when cold, I get around 90 psi on fast idle. I spoke to Gary at TRGB, and as usual, the bits arrived the following morning.

No oil cooler so a standard spring will do.

If I renew the plunger as well, do I have to 'lap' it in or just stick it in, I read a thread that said you have to lap these plungers in which I would struggle to do.

Cheers

Nick.