Fuel Tank Leak

I just removed the fuel tank. It was leaking a bit of fuel. After inspection, there are two small leaks on the bottom. One is about 1/16th inch and the other about 1/8th inch. The holes were caused by rust. I have a few ideas about repairs, but I thought I'd put it out there for possibly a better solution. I was thinking about coatingg the bottom of the tank with epoxy after ther repairs. This will mostly serve as a vapor barrier to eliminate further rust. Similar to the coating on the bottom of my sailboat. Thanks for any input on this problem, Sean

Edited by seanshine

Sean

Imagine this - you're driving down the road in your pride and joy with it's recently repaired fuel tank, your partners hand luggage in the boot (trunk!) when that repair fails - at best she'll (or he'll) smell like a fuel tanker driver :wacko: and at worst you'll me sat at the side of the interstate glaring at the remains of many hours of love & attention (and not the partner!) smouldering like a cat on heat.

Go the safe route and bin it, there are plenty of used tanks available in good condition and the money you will save in the long run will enable you to fill it up! - ah no! that's only over here in the UK that we get ripped off in fuel prices :(

Best of luck

Graham

Hi Sean,

Replacement tank is worth it if the rust is extensive.

If you are talking about a few very small holes in localised rust then effective repairs can be made.

Inspect the inside for rust as well as the outside.

The external rust can be blasted off (revealing more holes possibly) or application of rust remover.

The internal surface rust can be cleaned with various rust removers. Then a coating a tank sealant - Moss/Frosts/Eastwoods do a good one.

Soldering a repair plate over the holes may be very effective.

Coat the external surface with a quality anti-rust primer (Bondaprimer, corroless, POR15 etc) and a good top coat.

If you are going to use heat during the repair do ensure that the tank is thoroughly vented.

Roger

If naked-flame soldering, brazing or welding, the tank must be cleared of all petrol vapour. 'Steam clean' by adding boiling water and shaking tank - repeat several times until all petrol smell had gone. Explosion risk is substantial.

If the holes are as bad as you seem to indicate I would say replace it as it will need fairly extensive welding and slosh sealing which with time and parts you would be better off putting your money towards a new one.

Stuart.

Thanks for the helpful input. I opted for a new fuel tank. $228 US. It seemed like the right thing to do. :)

Dont know if you can avoid ethanol-containing petrol, but I suspect USA intends it being added in ever higher precentages in future.

You might want ot look into 'electroless nickel plating' to coat the steel with nickel which will resist corrosion.

Peter