How quick to oil pressure on start up

After a goodly while, I have now solved this problem. Caps off to all who said I should first look at the spin on adaptor.

Issue was down to incorrect sealing rings on the spin on adaptor. The outer large ring was too thick, effectively stepping the internal, smaller, centre ring off of the block and thus allowing oil to drain back to the sump. I verified that this was the case by putting blue tack on the centre smaller ring and offering the adaptor up to the block and then seeing the imprint made by the centre seal on the blue tack (there wasn't one!).

I replaced the outer ring with a shallower one (which was in the service kit) and on doing the blue tack check again, I was able to confirm the thickness required by the smaller internal sealing ring. I got a smaller, appropriate thickness ring and fitted it last weekend. Subsequent tests have confirmed that the this was the problem as I now get good oil pressure almost immediately on engine fire up under all conditions (hot or cold).

This problem has probably been there since the spin on adaptor was fitted but masked by the mess that the ignition and injection systems were in. Once sorted and I could start first time most times it became evident

John, from what you describe it sounds as though you have the adapter without the spring loaded centre ring - see Neil's and my earlier posts. If so then if I were you I'd swap it for the spring loaded one because you might have a problem later on with oil leaks, tighten it up a bit, then a bit more and then the boss on the block will break off.

Very good point peejay4A. I do have the old type adaptor and am conscious of the issue with over tightening the centre bolt. The torque settings for the centre bolt when applied to the origional canaster was 10 to 15 psi which is pretty light and mine is at the lighter end of this. I do have a slight dribble of oil from the outer ring and do intend to replace with the newer spring loaded Mocal once I get back from my holidays. I can live with a dribble of oil but I couldn't live with the delay in getting oil pressure on start up and the associated occasional rattle.

Many thanks to all contributors

Hi

It shoudnt rattle on start up. That indicates lack of oil. The only way this can be is oil drain back or very worn bearings. In your case it looks to be drain back. Needs sorting as will wear out the bearings running drier than designed. Start with a filter change. Good luck. Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I have on a friend's car a simple oil accumulator, a tank and a electromagnetic valve and a hose to the oil galary mounted.

When the ignition are on the valve are open so oil pressure build up in the tank, valve closed when shut of the engine, pressure in the tank stay to the time you switch on the ignition again, and then pressurize the gallery before the engine starts.

We have seen that even after 4 mothts the tank are unter pressure.

Regards,

Rien