uprated layshaft

hi all.

the rebuild of my box is coming on, some parts. people have advised me to get an uprated layshaft. does the casing need any work or is it just a new shaft, also is it just the shaft ? ALSO PRICE ?

thanks again mark.

No work needed on the casing. As to price....something over £100 and worth it.

The layshaft is a know weak point and the double bearing upgrade is pretty much a "fit and forget" solution.

Simon

Edited by simonjrwinter

Hi,

I got one from Moss, and called (Jeff Marks) to check I was getting the right one. Of the 2 available you have to be sure you have the correct number of teath for your existing box.

If you have the 30 ish year old box apart and have the opertunity to take a look at the needle bearings inside the lay gear you will appreciate how fragile they look. Now imagine those poor old bearing cages and take a moment to calculate the speed this little baby is spinning at when you have the input shaft at 5000 rpm...... Hmmmm, yep, a good investment, along with the counter shaft and an upgraded 2nd / 3rd gear bush. I was advised to take whatever countershaft I was delivered and beat it a couple of times against the old one (At this point imagine Phil Collins marking rythem with his drum sticks ;) ) and if this leaves a mark on the new one, be thankfull it happened our of the box, and ask for a refund.

Cheers,

Richard.

The guys here recommend bushing the layshaft and so getting rid of the fragile needle bearings altogether. This way, at least if something does fail, those little bearings are not flying around your gearbox chewing up all the other gears.

Had my layshaft replaced and bushed when I had my GB overhauled and added the A-type OD. Thanks to Pete Cox and Alec we managed to get the good stuff, so hopefully I wont be needing to delve in there again for a while.

Andrew

The guys here recommend bushing the layshaft and so getting rid of the fragile needle bearings altogether. This way, at least if something does fail, those little bearings are not flying around your gearbox chewing up all the other gears.

Had my layshaft replaced and bushed when I had my GB overhauled and added the A-type OD. Thanks to Pete Cox and Alec we managed to get the good stuff, so hopefully I wont be needing to delve in there again for a while.

Andrew

All my gearboxes in 2500's and my Stag run the bronze bush that Markich use - no issues ever - interestingly the modification was brought about because the gear, shaft and bearings were so expensive that cars (particularly saloons) were uneconomic to repair - the bronze bushing mod meant the laygear could be salvaged and even the layshaft reused if it wasn't too far gone - hence car could be kept on the road - the benefit was soon also realised that they then last indefinitely :)

Edited by Mk1PI

All my gearboxes in 2500's and my Stag run the bronze bush that Markich use - no issues ever - interestingly the modification was brought about because the gear, shaft and bearings were so expensive that cars (particularly saloons) were uneconomic to repair - the bronze bushing mod meant the laygear could be salvaged and even the layshaft reused if it wasn't too far gone - hence car could be kept on the road - the benefit was soon also realised that they then last indefinitely :)

are these bronze bushes over the counter size or home made on lathe

richard

are these bronze bushes over the counter size or home made on lathe

richard

Homemade - laygear bored out to remove any marks - bush is press fit and scrolled where it runs on the layshaft - old school engineering "bodge" - it works