Perhaps I should buy a nice MG?

As posted previously I'm delighted with the Newtronics electronic igntion system.  Been for a couple of long runs and all is great.

Then I got stuck in a big jam on the M40 (1 1/2 hours crawling).  Been stuck on the M25 before and I know I'm Ok with overheating.  Nevertheless, when I get out of the jam something is wrong.  It seems to be running roughly with a lot more noise over 3k or so revs.  And when I get off the motorway I've a miss-fire under about 2k.

So I got it home, checked the electrics - everything where it should be.  Checked the timing, seems a bit over advanced so retarded it to 5->6ish degrees before.  Not missing now, but still sounds wrong.  So I started pulling off the plug leads and the rear nearside (which number?) seemed to make little difference.  Had the plug out and cleaned it up.  Convinced myself that it sounded better.

The car's running better now, but there is a nasty engine 'rumbling' noise over about 3k revs that deffo was NOT there before and I'm a bit concered to say the least.  Having said that no overheating (60 miles back up the M40 at 70->80ish) and the oil pressure's not dropped. It is an engine noise (dependant on revs) rather than transmission I'm sure.

Not sure what to do with it now, with the 2000 miles/48 hours Round Britain Run in a month's time.

:(

Malcolm.

I think it is unlikely that it is the Newtronics as it would tend to either spark or not spark. I would suggest you try all the standard mechanical tests. By all means eliminate the ignition, but i would also suggest you do a compression test on all 8 cylinders. Also change the oil and carefully inspect what comes out. You may have run a cam lobe. If so a new can and new followers is not too difficult a job in car. Radiater out, timing cover off, rockers off, inlet manifold off etc.

As an afterthought, check the front pulley bolt is tight, i have this back off and it makes a nasty rumbling noise that is difficuly to pin point. if it has come slack, check that it grips the pulley and not the end of the crank when tightening it up. i have had one where the thick spacer grippe dthe crank first, thus relying on the key to stop the pulley rotating.

Good luck.

Andy.

Thanks for the replies chaps.  I will try that, yes.  Though the reason for removing the 'Opus' bits was because they were causing problems.  This does sound like a mechanical noise, but I'll let you know.....

Oh. And thanks Andy too - just missed your post.  I think it is mechanical in nature too.  As you know I've had the pulley loosen up a couple of times!

Malcolm.

I was having a chat with the Peerless drivers at the International and asked for a definition of "derivatives",from their reply I expect to see numerous MGB GT V8s and RV8s along with many Saab 99s at next years event or are derivatives of the TR7/8 excluded. After all the Morgan used only the engine from a TR just like the above MGs.So Malcolm even if you buy an MG you should still be welcome in the club.BTW my RV8 was one of the best cars I have ever had.

Malcolm

The MG forums have as many tales of woe as the TR ones, it part of the 'joys' of playing with old cars, they're great when they're running well but there are times when pushing them off a cliff sounds attractive, hang on in there.

Ron

Alec, you are probably right about the rest, even though I thought the Morgan had the twin carb TR engine rather than the single carb Vanguard. The Saab however is a different story, the engine was built by Triumph for Saab before it appeared in any BL product, it was only developed by Saab when they built their own version of the engine. Surely this must mean they are derivatives.
  • 2 weeks later...

To get back to the original topic: thanks for all the help and advice (again).  I've tightened up the pulley again, though I do appreciate that this needs a permanent solution!  Also played with the timing (see 'the art of good comedy' thread) since the 'leccy ignition was fitted and all is now back to normal.  I'm still not really sure why all seemed Ok until that traffic jam on the M40, but my big mistake was the assumption that the pulley timing marks were meaningful  :;):

Malcolm.