Thread on door lock

Stuart - that would be bigger than 1/4? (I'm no engineer). Looks much bigger than mine. I tried the smallest UNF tap I've got in a slightly drilled out 4ba nut but the thread didn't seem to fit. I'll check dimensions tomorrow. Thanks for your interest!

It will be 10 X 32 Tpi UNF or if you cant find that then 2BA will work instead, its a slightly different pitch in the thread but it will do the job.

Stuart.

JJC, those door pull threads originally had a dome nut - part 552396 if it can be found anywhere.

Viv.

I looked that part number up and TRF cross matches it with a domed nut from an MGB-GT rear hatch door, TRF part number 14B1981

http://trf.zeni.net/MGB-GC/194.php?s_wt=1920&s_ht=1200

Stan (1960 TR3A, no stud sticking out of door)

Well (small) mystery solved. Took the door card off (which I should have done in the first place). The stud is a later bodge. Presumably whatever piece of studding came to hand at the time fixed with a huge lump of braze. I've been looking at the passenger side because it's more convenient in the garage. And yes, the original on the driver's side is indeed 2BA/10 unf. So there we are, mystery solved, but problem not (yet).