Hello,

can someone help me about the bracket fascia center fixing,

one small triangular partno 601984 and the two braket fascia

outer fixing partno 601964 refered in the Moss catalogue,

(old catalogue page 92 item 62)

no trace of them in the Stanpart catalogue.

They are not available in the Moss database, Tr Shop haven't

them and Tr Bitz does not answer.

Have someone ever seen these brackets, do they exist really

or perhaps it's just a fantasy of Moss.

I will appreciate any infos related to them.

Thank You.

My TR3 hasn't this part either, perhaps it's only fitted on a few early cars only?

If u can show me which part it is (Moss catalogue in garage under piles of bits at the moment) , I'll have a look to see if I have it in a box in my loft off my 1954 TR2...  I could then photo and dimension it for you to get it fabricated if you think you need it... if I have it!

:blues:

I wish I could find my MOSS catalogue!

Any chance of scanning the page and e-mailing it to me???  All the pieces of the car that I've removed are readilly accessable... all I need to know is what the bit looks like so that I can Identify it if I have it!

I've contorted myself into a position to peer up under the dash of my 2, and I can't see the bit in question. I think it must be fitted to 3a's only.

Clive

The part is triangular in shape with three holes, is screwed to the scuttle near the vent cable with two screws, and supports the facia exactly in the centre with a single screw/bolt. ( Or so the Moss book would have us believe. )

I thought I knew where my Moss Catalogue was hiding... it wasn't... here boy!

Ah... there you are... ok.. was in my "restoration" file... where else!

Ah... no, I can't picture that part, but I'll have a good rumage through my boxes of bits... and photo's

Thank you Clive, Marvmul, Les to take care of my problem.

I would like to put a copy of the catalogue on this post but I am not able, can someone tell me how to insert a picture.

Clive I am going to email you the scanned catalogue page.

But you will see that only the center bracket is shown, the outer refer only to the part number.

Can someone owning a Tr3a pre50000 and post50000 be so kind to have a look under the fascia to see if these brackets are fitted.

Thank you all.

I've checked my photo's and there is no sign of it on there, either remaining fixed to the scuttle or on the back of the removed dashboard.

I have to admit that I didn't remove the dashboard, that was down to Andy (Maddog), but I did photograph the critical stages (I think) as he did it, in between removing other pieces of the car myself!

• 2 weeks later...

I have checked my early 3A and there is no sign of these brackets.

Looking at the Moss catalogue the illlustration is of an early fascia as fitted to cars without the vent flap.  Cars with the flap (post TS6156) had the middle mounting bolt slightly to the right of centre to allow the vent pull to be central.  The later fascia had an extra notch for this and the central notch is enlarged.  The centre bracket is shown fitting dead centre so may only be on pre TS6156, however Clive's car falls in this category so some more checking on earlier cars is needed.

BTW the brackets ARE listed but not illustrated in the Stanpart catalogue under Facia Panel Attachment Details (page 106 in my 4th edition)

I took a deep look into the boxes with all the parts of my fascia and try to find how all these bits may fit together. I guess i found, what you are looking for.

The questioned brackets are used to fix the fascia panel to the wood unter the scuttle. Therefor they used three fixing points. One in the center and one on each side.

The one in the center had to be moved after introduction of the vent flat. From that time (my cars is an early 3A), there was no bracket but a bolt, fixed into the wood. They used a weld-in bolt, drilled a small hole in the head and fixed it with a nail to prevent it from turning. I guess this may have replaced a metal bracket (triangle/ rectangle) carrying a weld-in bolt and beeing fixed to the wood with two smaller screws (like the ones on the sides).

The bolts on the side are made by a small metal rectangle (1 1/2" x 3/8" approx., i didn't measure it) with a 1/4-weld-in bolt, about 1/2" long. It is fixed to the wood with 2 small wood screws.

If you mount the fascia to the wood, two holes in the panel fit over these bolts (my holes actually are elongated, maybe manually as it is not symmetrical) and the fascia is fixed with nut & washer. The center hole is round and is fixed the same way. Btw, you see these holes in the picture in the catalogue,  the figure 30 pointing at it.

There are some other parts, not mentioned in the catalogue:

- two metals plate carrying a nut: This is the inner nut for both Brooklands screen supports. They are fixed with two bolts each to the wood and are located on top of it, between wood and scuttle panel. This construction probably reinforces the scuttle when using the small screens

- Another bracket, angled and with a quite complicated shape. It is mounted in the center and carrys two nuts, they are the fixation points for the rear view mirror.

Maybe the illustrated triangular bracket represents the post-60000 version. As they are using (93) spire nuts two fix the grab handle,  i can imagine that the wooden rail has been skipped. Then they would have to use some kind of more complicated part to fix the fascia.

I hope this helps...and maybe there is somebody able to look into his post-60000.

Thank you Johannes for all these valuable informations, but I am quite confused now.

You say "parts of your fascia in boxes" then you speek about an old 3A and you signed with TS27952L.

So, can you be so kind to clarify me which car has the bracket fitted and which hasn't and had bolts instead.

Also, can you explain me what is a weld in bolt ?

I will also appreciate more detail about the wood under the scutle because it is not related in the Moss catalogue and I never seen it as I got my car in parts and completely dis-assembled but with a lot of missing components.

Thank you for your cooperation

Hello Gnotte, i didn't try to confuse you, sorry for that.

Well my TS27952 is an old TR3A as it was build in Feb. '58, so within the first year of this model. There were a lot of model changes until the end of production, and i still got some details common only for TR2/ TR3. What is the serial-number of your car? Maybe this helps with some details of the discussion.

I only have this car, and this car has a kind of bracket (as described) on the sides and a bolt in the center: 2 brackets, 1 bolt.

The body of the sidecreen- TRs remained quite unchanged until TS60000, then not only the floors were changed. The doors lost their top wooden rails and maybe the wood under the scuttle car was deleted too. Is there anybody out there to clarify this?

Speaking of TS27952: I have a wooden rail under the rear end of the scuttle: Starting at the corner were the fascia meets the drivers door going to the other side to the passengers door. It is use to stabilize the scuttle and to fix several things to it (Fascia, deforster vents, vent flap opener, dash rail trim roll).

In my car, the rear end of the scuttle is just angled for less then 1/2". So this is very "sloppy"  without any support. It has only two longitudinal frames supporting the hinges of the bonnet, running to that wooden rail.

"Weld-in-bolt": Think of a bolt with a very flat head, like a nail.  

Typical usage: Then think of a metal plate with a hole, so that the bolt fits into it.  Now weld the head of the bolt to the plate. As the head is very flat, it will no be very high above the level of the plate. As you weld it in, it can't turn, you don't need a hexagon or a slot..

In this case: They drilled on hole into the head (on the side, not in the center) and used a simple nail to prevent turning of the bolt.

I hope helps you a bit further, I can't post pictures in here but i will try to make a drawing of the parts and will send it to you by E-Mail or Fax if you like: Just give me your adress or number.

Thank you Johannes for spending your time to help me.

My car is TS24900L. So, I probably have to deal with the wooden rail, the 1 center bolt and 2 outer brackets and the misterious weld-in-bolt.

It is difficult to me to imagine this construction as I never saw any of these parts.

But at least now, I know they exist, as no parts catalogue

shows them.

You can sent me additional pictures/drawing at: gnotte@tiscali.be

Thank you, Guy