Genuine TR7 sprint

Guest JGG

When I bought my Sprint over 4 years ago it had front end accident damaged with the engine ,subframe removed.

When I went to pick up the car the seller game me a large heavy box which he said went with the car,I never really bothered with the box until last weekend when I had to relocate to a different garage and decided to have a clear out .

Well - in the box is a used genuine very early numbered TR8 engine with carbs original air filter boxes etc,also one other feature worth mentioning ,I noticed on the car during restoration is that the rear axle casing has "EXP" stamped on it (as does the gearbox) but has a 3.45 ratio not a standard 3.90 as other Sprints have.

Any ideas??

Interesting one that.  I'm sure Chris or Richard will have suggestions, but weren't some of the early TR8 prototypes badged as V8 sprints?  I'd not realised you had originally obtained the cars without engine!  Did the car have original badging when you got hold of it or (more likely) had it been resprayed/badged in the past?

Malcolm.

John According to Hardcastles book,the first V8 powered cars built by the factory in early 1977 were badged as TR7 sprints, there is a photo of one on Richards site.The first known TR8 that I have actually seen was built in 1975 and has TR7 V8 transfers on it, however this was built a long time before the factory sprints.The reason for the various quoted numbers for the TR7 sprints is that some of the shells allocated to this project were used for other things.SJW 533S,540S,546S and 548S were used as works rally cars and a couple of others were built as TR8s as the only difference in the chassis was the front brake discs,front springs and shock absorbers.I know you built the car up with a sprint engine,based on the original engine number, research may show it had an engine change at the factory.The engine number on the V8 may be the key, maybe you should build it up ready, so it can bepreserve as a piece of the cars history.Another thing to check is the brake discs as the special sprint ones are slightly thicker than the TR7 ones whereas the TR8 ones are both bigger and thicker.

Malcolm/Chris,

When I bought the car it had been off the road since 1983 and had covered 58,569,it had changed hands several times while accident damaged.

Other than the damaged parts that had been stripped off (nose cone,front panel, bumper etc) the body work was in amazing original condition (Chris can verify),the interior was a bit grubby though .A sprint engine  was supplied with the car but had no engine number on it and was in need of a rebuild.I automatically assumed this was the engine out of the car,but now having spoken to Chris I have my doubts especially when he points out the registration on my car 539 precedes Tony Ponds 540,perhaps a coincidence.

With regard to badging ,the only badging left on the car was the 2 sprint decals on each rear wings ,the standard early TR7 badge on the boot lid and an  unusual sloped union jack badge on the opposite side of the lid,the rear panel was black with a Townsend Thorenson GB sticker on it,it also had genuine TR8 Cruise lights fitted including the correct boot trim .

Inside the car on the passenger side of the dash was a flexible chrome light as used in rally cars and a couple of clips that look like they came from a clip board a few other holes and a fire extinguisher mounting,to answer Chris's question it had TR8 discs and TR8 back plates, it also has the footwell vents as found on non Air Con US cars.Another point worth mentioning the box the V8 came in looks like a period manufacturers crate.  

John

From a knowledge base of nothing on this, it sounds like the car may have been used as a recce or pace note car. The 3.45 gearing (if used with a V8) would mean it would accelerate like stink, but not have too high a top speed. The in car equipment would fit with period navigators equipment and on an event like Ypres the cooling vents would be useful. The consecutive number plate to one of the rally cars would fit with this.
Guest dolomiteman
Is there a water outlet manifold on the head back plate that leads to the heater?. The 16v engines used in Dolomites never had this and it might be a good clue as to whether the Sprint engine was an original TR one or not. Numbers on the 16v engines are notoriously difficult to find being very light stampings indeed......

John,

Car below was found two years ago it being a SPRINT with a 3.5 LITRE badge on the side and V8 on the tail - engine is a TR8 engine numbered V8!

TR8-SPRINT-BACK.jpg

Original press pictures for the car are below which show the 3.5 LITRE BADGE on the side

sprintv8.jpg

Current owner believes this car to be the first TR8? - I would have thought however that there would have been a few of these cars so perhaps your car was one. The difficult bit for you will be in finding the records as so many of the early test what ever cars have long since lost their records.

Hope that helps

Richard

Thanks for that everyone,I think a possiblity for the future will be to fit the V8.I have spoken to Gaydon a few times on the subject but as Richard says records are a bit sketchy.

John

PS get the message about the article guy's !

Simon,

Sadly don't ride it much but it is terrific makes it so easy,the dealer who sold me the bike has offered more than I paid for it plus my leathers are getting a bit tight round the middle,so I may let it go along with the 911 ,I have a notion of a Porsche GT3.

John

Know what you mean Simon , this is big problem area for me ,the other option was an older 355, but not really a lover of these. The current 911 I have is just amazing can be docile one minute and a  race car the next and so reliable.

To be honest I prefer the mini to them all which I have had since I was 18!!!

cheers

John

Ive just bought a new helmet so dont sell the Ducati until I have been up for a ride.The last one I rode was a 916,I suppose the 999r is a bit quicker.All this talk about bikes has set me off, I must get another,much better than cars. My Skyline GTR should be arriving soon, cant wait.