Weber Carb Tuners

Can any member recommend engine tuners with genuine experience of Webers installed on a TR3A?

I am new to TR ownership and these forums which have already provided a huge amount of information and guidance, so thanks for that.

My TR was rebuilt about 10 years ago when various improvements were made to allow for higher output/performance including (but not limited to) an oil cooler, high lift cam, and twin Weber 45s. The cam was subsequently replaced with a milder road cam. Performance is good but the engine is far from smooth. Apart from steady motorway driving it spits, and cackles and belches!

From my research I suspect there are a number of contributory factors and it probably 'over-Webered'. However, identifying and addressing all these factors is beyond my competence (and time allowance!). Hence, my search for someone experienced with TR engine management and tuning generally but with specific Weber tuning expertise, which from my researches todate looks pretty thin on the ground.

The car is based in Surrey (I am in London) but I am happy to hear about anywhere in London, around London and the South East of England.

Thanks - Miles

Can any member recommend engine tuners with genuine experience of Webers installed on a TR3A?

I am new to TR ownership and these forums which have already provided a huge amount of information and guidance, so thanks for that.

My TR was rebuilt about 10 years ago when various improvements were made to allow for higher output/performance including (but not limited to) an oil cooler, high lift cam, and twin Weber 45s. The cam was subsequently replaced with a milder road cam. Performance is good but the engine is far from smooth. Apart from steady motorway driving it spits, and cackles and belches!

From my research I suspect there are a number of contributory factors and it probably 'over-Webered'. However, identifying and addressing all these factors is beyond my competence (and time allowance!). Hence, my search for someone experienced with TR engine management and tuning generally but with specific Weber tuning expertise, which from my researches todate looks pretty thin on the ground.

The car is based in Surrey (I am in London) but I am happy to hear about anywhere in London, around London and the South East of England.

Thanks - Miles

Miles

Sigma Engineering in Gillingham Dorset are the business - What Pete Landar doesn't know about webers you could put on a gnats wotsit. OK it is a bit of a trek but believe me is worth it.

Regards

John

Derek and John

Many thanks for the recommendations. I had read about the legendary Pete Landar but was hoping he had a twin brother closer to home!

I will feed back any useful comments after I get this sorted.

Miles

• 6 months later...

It has been a while (so many other small tasks and so little time) but I promised to feedback on this.

Ultimately, I decided to try Tom Airey on the basis of another recommendation and proximity (he is in Hampshire). He is in his 70s, not cheap, but in my case, greatly improved the car and I am very pleased with the results. He immediately changed the size of the idler jets and put in cooler plugs - needed to cope with modern fuel formulation which has changed since the Webers were originally set up. There was an immediate and obvious improvement. Then after about 45 minutes of tuning on and off the rolling road I had a smooth running engine, with more power at lower revs and a cooler running engine (always a bonus with a 3A).

I have no connection with Tom other than as a satisfied customer but if you have Webers that need tuning and are in striking distance, definitely worth considering.

Miles