Crankshaft end play

Hi all

Have just removed gearbox to make some improvements to a "sticky clutch" and have now ordered the spares.

In the meantime I have made some measurements on the crank-shaft end float (measured on the flywheel).

The readings are 0,15 mm or 0,006 inch. end float.

Is that within the akceptable limits?

Regards

Tage

Hi all

Have just removed gearbox to make some improvements to a "sticky clutch" and have now ordered the spares.

In the meantime I have made some measurements on the crank-shaft end float (measured on the flywheel).

The readings are 0,15 mm or 0,006 inch. end float.

Is that within the akceptable limits?

Regards

Tage

6 thou is a good value for crank end float as long as you measured the full travel of the crank by levering it all the way back before setting the dial gauge and pushing the crank all the way forward. Do it a few times and see if the number varies significantly.

Stan

Hi Stan

Thanks for Your reply. I move the crank fully forward - zero the dial gauge and move the crank fully backwards. I have measured more times, and the result is every time 0,15 mm or 0,006 inch. on the dial gauge. So I leave the thrust washers as they are.

Regards

Tage

Hi Tage

Just be sure that when you put the gearbox back in that you put the two 3/8" (10mm) diameter shank/dowel bolts (pt no 132872) in the right places first before tightening or fitting any other bolts.

They should be a push fit in their correct holes in the gear case and engine backplate. (try them before you put the gearbox back in) If you leave them till last you will have to loosen all the other fixings to get them in - or smash them in with a big hammer and damage the aluminium gear case holes, rendering the tolerance fit for alignment useless!

The dowel bolts are important as they align the gear box to the engine, making the clutch,flywheel and crank assy concentric to the gearbox first motion shaft.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT