Steering Rack Earth Strap and Canvas Top

Would be very grateful if someone could tell me where the correct place is for the earth strap. Also, having got to the stage of trying to work out how to fit the canvas top (Surrey Top car) with the rodent eaten remains I've got it isn't obvious how the metal frame is secured (is it just the rubber bungs at the front and the thumbscrews at the back?) nor can I find any signs of anything other than two press studs either side of the windscreen at the front to hold the canvas bit. In fact I can only see three press studs either side in total and the usual few looping over the frame inside. Is that it? What else holds it at the front? The TR2 has lots of poppers on the top of the windscreen so I would have expected something more than just those two at the corners! Thanks. JJC

Hi JJC,

the soft top should have popper studs (females) - one at each corner (4 off), four across the middle on the underside (4 off), and one either side in the middle (2 off) midway along the door glass.

The front of the 'canvas' has a metal strap inserted in a pocket that runs the most of the way across the windscreen, this locates under the windscreen capping.

The back of the 'canvas' has a tube inserted through a pocket that runs the width of the rear screen, that has two threaded tubes that allow bolts to pull it down.

Ther earth strap is on the lefthand side of the engine, up front. One end is attached to the chassis at a suitable position near the front left undercarriage.

The other end is attached to engine front plate. It may be a good idea to run an extra cable from the battery earth direct to the engine otherwise the chassis and body need to hunt around for a suitabke connection!!!

Roger

Hi JJC,

on my 4A I attached a wire to the grease nipple on top of the steering box and the other end pop riveted to the body work close by.

The metal strip does not clip to anything. It tucks under the cap and relies on the roof tension to hold in place.

if the tension is too low or the metal strip too thin/narrow it will allow the roof to peel back - very exciting at 70mph

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Roger - great thanks. You wouldn't believe it but I realised I'd forgotten the earth strap after I'd taken the steering wheel off, dismantled all sorts, then the penny dropped. I'll trust to luck with the roof! I very rarely have the hood up on TRs anyway. There is another problem (after 8 years I'm hoping to get an MoT) which is the clutch. It's very very difficult to bleed and then just fades away after a few days. Wasn't there a thread somewhere about difficulty bleeding with new master cylinders? JJC

Hi JJC,

re. the clutch. is the slave cylinder positioned with the bleed nipple uppermost - this lets 'all' the air out. There was a query regarding M/C but I don't think it was for the 4/4A type. But then they are all mechanical and all have a mind of their own.

What is the flexi-pipe like. Could ot be porous.

Roger

Hi JJC,

on my 4A I attached a wire to the grease nipple on top of the steering box and the other end pop riveted to the body work close by.

The metal strip does not clip to anything. It tucks under the cap and relies on the roof tension to hold in place.

if the tension is too low or the metal strip too thin/narrow it will allow the roof to peel back - very exciting at 70mph

Roof

Whos Roof???