alternator bracket

Hi all,

I've just purchased a new Alternator from TRGB,however when I looked at the one fitted in the car that needs replacing something seemed to be wrong.

The metal bracket which is attached to the bottom of the alternator at one end and to the underside of the waterpump housing at the other fits very close to the FRONT face of the alternator so close in fact that the pulley fan has been removed, this just cannot be right.

Could anyone show me a picture of how the alternator should be mounted with special attention to the bracket please.

Is a proper bracket available?if so from where?

the car is a 1966 TR4a

many thanks Lee

This any good for you Lee?

006-1.jpg

A simple bracket that works very well but I'm not sure if this is the part you are referring to?

John

Lee,

I made the bracket and the heat shield earlier this year. The bracket is just a peice of 5mm steel out of the gash bin. I made a template first to ensure it was the right size to allow for adjustment and tensioning on the belt and that the slot was long enough to allow the alternator to swing back against the block for belt replacement. I think I've still got the template somewhere if it's any good for you - just depends what tools you've got available.

The heat shield is a piece of 1.2mm stainless steel which was just a couple of quid from the metal merchants. This also needed a template made out of cardboard first to get the fit correct and then cut out of the stainless, I seem to recall my gas bottle provided the perfect radius for the main bend!

cheers

John

The heat shield can be made out of almost any material. The shield which I found on 4VC when I bought the car in 1969 (and I suspect it had been fitted by the Works in 1963) is made out of a thin piece of plated steel - might even be from an old tin can!

It's still there now, protecting the alternator instead of the original high output dynamo.

Ian Cornish