Rover t16

Guest stevie147hcr

Guest stevie147hcr
Hi just found your forum just wanted to know if anyone knows of anyone putting a rover t16 turbo engine into a 7 my dad has got one with the rimmer tr40 body panels fitted to it ,iam on rovertech.net forums where one guy has put a t16 into a mgb and he has said he has heard of someone doing this conversion to a 7.thanks

S&S have still got that car, a 16v 2L Rover 820 motor. I think that's the Rover M16 (an evolution of the 'O' series motor).

The TR7 was tested with 'O' series engines with/without turbos towards the end of production.  If it had survived they would have replaced the slant 4.

The T16 was the 200bhp engine fitted to the Rover 620Ti wasn't it?

Malcolm.

Seems a bit pointless as S & S did a lot of work to fit it and the engine isn't the greatest. A better 2 litre would be a Ford Zetec or a Vauxhall XE. In fact a 7 races with a Vauxhall lump. Much more reliability and loads of bits around for either the Zetec or the Vauxhall.

Jim

Seems a bit pointless as S & S did a lot of work to fit it and the engine isn't the greatest. A better 2 litre would be a Ford Zetec or a Vauxhall XE. In fact a 7 races with a Vauxhall lump. Much more reliability and loads of bits around for either the Zetec or the Vauxhall.

Jim

Jim you have missed the point.Back in 1992 when we built the yellow car with the M16 in,that car was our interpretation of what Triumph could have still been producing using the TR7 styling which in our opinion was way ahead of it's time in the 70's,but didn't look out of place in the 90's.With this in mind we obviously wanted to use a modern engine that was produced by Rover and the M16 fitted the bill perfectly(we did have plans to fit the turbo unit at some point in the future,but never got round to it due to our extensive work schedule).

Not only was it an exercise to show what Triumph might still be producing at the time,it was also an exercise to show off our engineering skills.

regards

Steve

Steve you misunderstood what I wrote. No issue with what you were trying to do and yes the O series (the forerunner of the T & M) was considered for the TR7 & in fact the MGB so you were in line with Rover?BL engineers at the time.

My point was is that it isn't an easy fit and isn't that great an engine. If you're going to make efforts to fit another engine then fit a decent one such as the XE or the Zetec, which have better support. In no way did I intend to  decry what you had done just point out that it wasn't particularly easy and their are better lumps unless you have a point to prove.

Jim