TR5 & TR4 body tub

Hi

Is it possible to utilise body panels from a TR4 for a TR5 restoration?. What are the main differences, obviously there is the rear suspension but are there any other major issues.

Phil

Hi Phil

Two that I can think of are that you would have to drill the fromt wings & both doors for the S/S side strip & indicator sidelights and I think that the 4/4A doesn't have a separate keyhole in the doors.

Oh, and you might have to fill in mounting holes for the badging on th bonnet & bootlid and drill new ones.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply david.

I'm really after confirmation that the tub is basically the same, for instance are the rear & front inner wings the same?, is the heelboard seat pan and boot floor all the same for tr4 and tr5's, are the front inner wings the sa I assume the rear deck is the same but the forward deck sections are different.

I have a Tr4 body shell which I was hoping the used to repair a TR5 shell with - cost of new panels being what they are!

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards

Phil

Hi, If you are going for originality then 2 fairly big differences are the doors/B posts(the shape of both in the lock fitting area) and the front RH side inner wing (big dent!! to accommodate the Pi plenum), Oh and the 5 has reversing lights just under the rear light clusters, and the shape of the forward tonneau section is different from the 4 to accommodate the later folding hood, other than those it's just a question of filling,moving and creating new holes for the various bits of trim etc.

Good luck, cheers Rob

There is also the question of the extra chassis mounts on the 5 under the rear parcel shelf. Not too difficult to replicate but essential. Unless the 4 has been unmolested for all of its life I suspect the forward deck extensions will probably have already been changed to the later type as originals went NLS very early on. You will also need to drill the extra holes in the boot for the fuel lines and filter mounting and pump also if you are retaining the original Lucas pump. If you put the two side by side most differences are obvious.

Stuart

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

There are about 60 detailed differences between a genuine TR5 inner body tub and a TR4, so very easy to spot when the car is done - most importantly, if your car ends up as a 'bitza' it will undoubtedly compromise the value and saleability if you ever choose to sell it. Id say on a TR5 it would halve the value, so my opinion would not to go down this route but look for a TR250 tub (which is effectively a LHD TR5) and convert to RHD which is relatively easy in the grand scheme.

All of the differences in outer skin panels are in the position and number of the various holes to fit lamps and trim, from the front wngs as noted above to the rear valancearea where the reversinglights attach, but the bonnet frames are different, door frames and attachments to b post are as the TR6 (not TR4), screen surround and hood attachments are as TR6 etc. Without an original TR5 shell to copy you will have a decent amount of work to replicate correctly, but at least once done the outer panels would look right if you only use the wings and bootlid.

There are TR250 bodyshells out there but be prepared to put floors and sills, plus a battery tray in them because this is what most I have seen require. These bits are all available as repro parts an reassonable quality so long as you buy the right ones, so this is eminently do able.

Regards

Tony