Hi

Please help as i have no clue about gearboxes been offered a stag box(A type) with overdrive would i be any good for a tr4 and how much work is involved.

please let me know as soon as possible.

many thanks

chris

Hi Chris

I have fitted a Stag box with A type overdrive in my 3A. The only bit in the box that was changed was to put a TR6 input shaft in to mate up with the TR clutch plate and spigot bush. I kept the spring clutch cover (it hadn't done many miles) to save money. I used an angle drive for the speedo as the output drive is at a more horizontal angle on thre Stag box. The only other thing needed was to fabricate a different gearbox mounting.

Overall I'm very pleased with the conversion. I have synchro on all forward gears; it is much stronger than the 3A box and the overdrive works a lot better. Only downside is that as the Stag runs 14" wheels the speedo underreads in the 3A. I'll probably get around to having it recalibrated if I can find someone locally (ie in Kent) to do it.

Cheers

Terry

Thanks for alec for speacking to me and thanks for the advice and also thanks for letting me have the email address and thank terry for replying on the forum.

many thanks

chris :)B)

This is a good gearbox and it's very easy/possible to have this converted to TR spec fitment by ORS in Sheffield.

This is exactly what I have done for my TR4 rally car, and spare overdrive gearbox.

Once converted it will be far stronger than a TR gearbox and will fit straight in with no messing around with the input shaft, clutch, speedo drive or rear mounting. It will fit properly.

Talk to ORS.

David

This is a good gearbox and it's very easy/possible to have this converted to TR spec fitment by ORS in Sheffield.

This is exactly what I have done for my TR4 rally car, and spare overdrive gearbox.

Once converted it will be far stronger than a TR gearbox and will fit straight in with no messing around with the input shaft, clutch, speedo drive or rear mounting. It will fit properly.

Talk to ORS.

David

I too have the Stag box in my TR3A with the A type o/d - I picked it up NOS from Unipart some years back when 'in the trade'.

Tony Dean at Kingston Sportscars did the swap over of the clutch/front shaft and replaced the overdrive unidirectional clutch for the modern bullet proof type.

Moss London did the speedo recalibration service for me.

It works a dream now it is almost run in.

Peter W

Hi

ORS do my converted a type stags for my TR4 rally cars and I have to say they do the best job in the market, probably comparable with TR Enterprises or Revington TR, so Id recommend you talk to all 3 amd take your advice and choice from there.

Regards

Tony