I get an intermittent jingling noise from somewhere in the drive train.  The noise can best be described as what you might hear if there was a loose bit of chain jangling against a metal tube.  (prop shaft?)

The noise generally occurs at low road speeds (although it may be that I can't hear it at higher speeds)and is not dependent on engine revs.  It carries on even if I cut the ignition and coast along.

As far as I'm aware there isn't actually a  bit of chain around the prop shaft.

Any ideas?

Are all the bolts holdinbg the UJ's to the drive shaft tight?  Mine used to have a habit of coming loose!

Other causes are stones (or wheel nuts??? ) in hub caps, or in brake drums

It's worth a realy good check around if you have not already done so.

• 2 weeks later...

Clive - Does the car start easily every time with the starter ?  This was the clue to my TR3A with this noise.  I believe the the starter pinion is spinning out and not returning.  Often, the starter just turns with a "zinging" sound.  So I believe that the teeth on the pinion are clinking against the teeth on the flywheel. It sounds like someone shaking a bunch of spoons in a tin cup.  I get this at least once every 5000 miles so I remove carb #2 and the starter, lube it and that removes the sound.

Don Elliott

Still not had much success with this one.

The jingle (best description there is) is definitely a gearbox/prop shaft/final drive issue.  I can get it by coasting down hill without the engine turning and can also get a similar noise if I jack up and spin one of the rear wheels.

The UJ bolts seem tight and there is no obvious clunk when I take up the drive which might have indicated worn UJs.

Haven't yet had the opportunity to get the car high enough so that I can get a good look underneath.  Will keep you posted when I do find out what it is.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, its now all so obvious and I feel pretty dumb for not spotting this one.  However in the spirit of sharing, here it is....

Had the car up on axle stands to sort out the handbrake adjustment before the MOT, so I delved a little deeper and found what was jangling.  The dust cover that screws onto the end of the sliding yoke has come undone and is now rattling (jingling) around the shaft.  I suspect that it might have butchered the threads because it wouldn't screw back on so may have to drop the shaft someday soon.  Still, at least I know what it is.