Replacement Alternator

My alternator bearing is running noisy and as it is the Lucas ACR 100 (32amp output?) I'm wondering about swapping it for a higher output (45 amp?) to cater for the extra load of electric fan, Bosch pump and halogen head and spot lights etc.

Any suggestions as to suitable alternative? - I'd prefer not having to replace all the connections to save downtime

Mike

Had mine replaced with one from Revington which pushes out 65 amps. Whilst at it, they fitted a secondary wiring loom which is relayed and has its own fuse box.  The theory being that the original loom was fine for what was originally on the car. This secondary loom allows you to simply connect the live feeds from whatever extra bits you have.  I've found it a very neat and effective answer.

Bob, very interesting. I got the same alternator from Revington, but have not yet fitted it. Would be very interested how they wired it, did they go to the battery directly, how did they bypass the A meter did they put a shunt and what is this relay for....

Jean

Les

Thats what I was thinking of doing so I rang the Lucas service depot in Liverpool. They will  only exchange on a like for like basis and quoted me £42 + £15 surcharge for the 18ACR. My old alternator is obviously not the original as it has a reference Lucas LRA 100 on the label. I hope that the 45amp unit will be OK with the existing cables. One of the US sites (Buckeye?) refers to various GM and Ford alternators as suitable which may be available in UK

Yesterday I just missed a recon 18ACR (45amp) for £16 on ebay from a company called Naes ltd in manchester (but I think they have other uk branches). They also had loads of other alternators listed including a 17ACR (36amp). When I checked that one it also gave it as a Lucas part no LRA 100 which is the number shown on my existing alternator. I spoke to them on the phone and they told me that a LRA 226 will fit (identical size and connections) available in 45, 55 and 65 ratings. They would supply new 55 amp for £45.

Also trawled through the US sites and they list a Bosch 13107 as fitted to 78-80 Fiesta or an AC delco 60amp ref 7127 as suitable

Hi all,

Sorry Jemgee, that was me who just pipped you at the post for the 18 ACR. I bought it for a replacement for my ex-USA(soon to be RHD and PI'd) TR6.  It had a 16ACR alternator which i understand is not high enough for a PI car its should be at least 45amp hence the 18ACR.  The guy had two for sale on e-bay so might have more.  I have his e-mail address if anybody would like it.  It cost £12 to ship and  including paypal costs it came to about £30 all in, compared to Rimmers £50 so not a bad deal.

At least its going to a good home :)

Kris

Kris

We are going to have to get together when bidding on ebay against each other! good luck with it - I might get into manchester in the next few weeks so I'll call in to see them. I don't need one as much as you - its just I hate seeing the needle on discharge when sitting in traffic queues with the Kenlowe running.

Mike

I got a heavier one for my MG several years ago from my local auto-shop, can't remember now which model it was but they were quite happy to take the smaller one in exchange so it might be worth asking a few shops in your area.

Ron

Mike, I got the LRA100 on my 6. According to the book it should provide you with 34A. The LRA100 is or was fitted as standard to Land-Rovers, It has different connectors as the standard Lucas on TRs.

With the LRA100 you should have no discharge problems, on my car it's driving the fan and the EFI system without giving any problems. When the fan cuts in the needle jumps to high charge, due to start surge, and then settles back to normal, but never stays in discharge. Realize that the alternator is only providing charge if the battery requires charge. If the battery output is equal to the alternator output the needle will be centered, and a fan

can't be subject to require more current than the LR100 can provide. Maybe you will have to check your electric system in general.

With concern to loom upgrade, it's a good idea, but the loom will only be overloaded at the moment the battery is almost empty as the generator will only at that moment provide full

load current. I'm not an electric expert, maybe someone can provide a more accurate picture.

Jean

I bought a couple of spares from Bill at Naesltd, as they rebuild/recondition without requiring exchange.   No doubt, he will be offering more 18ACRs in the very near future.   I think I got mine for £15 or £16 + the standard carriage charge of £10 for both - very cheap.   As some of you already know, if I recognise the Ebay handle, I email the other bidder and ask if they are Forum friends before bidding.

Another boring moniker - jemgeetr6!

Today I am a happy bunny. Local firm Key Auto Electrics 149 Rice Lane , Walton, Liverpool 9 0151 524 2133 supplied me with 55 amp Lucas alternator - straight swap over for £28 +VAT. They also supply batteries and starters and will re-build your own if necessary. I fitted it in a few minutes and the output is noticeably higher - at tickover there is no discharge showing on the ammeter. I'm wondering if the old one had a failing regulator.