Windscreen to body rubber seal

Hello,

Is there any important and useful hint on how to install the windscreen-to-body rubber seal into its channel?

I have tried to thread it from one end, and despite having filed and smoothed the channel edges to help the rubber go into and lubricating with soapy water, I manage to insert it only by about one inch.

Thanks.

Jesus.

Is there any important and useful hint on how to install the windscreen-to-body rubber seal into its channel?

I have tried to thread it from one end, and despite having filed and smoothed the channel edges to help the rubber go into and lubricating with soapy water, I manage to insert it only by about one inch.

It seems the repro rubbers don't slide in the way the original ones used to.

Don't know why not.

Recommended method seems to be locating on lip on the rubber inside the

slot and (carefully) forcing the other lip in with a blunt chisel or similar.

(with lubricant to help)

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Hmmmm, heard a tip that KY Jelly works really well, but if fresh out :unsure::P use dishwashing liquid.

Viv.

KY is the best, dont use washing up liquid as it will eventually degrade the rubber, candle wax liberally rubbed in works well also. There is no way the repros will slide in and the only way is lip one side into the channel and then blunt instrument the other in, best done wearing gauntlets and a lot of patience. Dont forget to fit it the correct way round which is flap facing backwards. ;)

Stuart.

See the replies to this same topic I started about two weeks ago, KY jelly ,a blunt screwdriver and pressing one lip in by hand and the other 1mm at a time with the screwdriver worked for me, same for the top seal,and yes it should point backwards ,which looks wrong but is correct. Good luck.

Thanks to your recommendation and a lot of patience,I have been able to install the rubber seal. I even have assembled the glass and frame with some specific black silicon .

Now I will deal with matching the seal with the stanchions via the two tabs.

Jesus