Surrey vs Rag Top Query

About 10 years ago I bought a surrey top, which included a metal hard top and a canvas rag top. Now, I have to admit, I'm thinking of selling the whole thing and moving back to the original convertible my car originally was. I miss the full "top down" feeling. I had everything on the surrey nicely restored at Enginuity, but I never use the hard top, and although I find the surrey nice, it is nothing like having the top completely down. Before I go ahead with this, I have a few questions. I have the original stick frame with my old rag top on it -- can the frame be repainted, or a new one purchased? Also, who makes the best rag tops? I've seen some attractive canvas ones, but do they fold down well enough, and small enough, to allow a cover on top? Has any member gone from rag, to surrey, and back again?

Lastly, is the best place to sell the surrey kit eBay?

Thoughts welcome!

Yes some members have swung both ways. If you post this in the TR5 and oddly enough TR6 forums you'll get some replies.

Carl at TR Trader does hood frame refurbs.

As to selling, try the Trade section of the forum first, if it's a genuine alloy surrey I'm sure you'll get a response. Post some pics .

Ivor

Its not over difficult to re-paint your frame just make sure that it all folds nicely before painting and don't put too thick a coat on it as there is minimal clearance between the folding sections. TR Bitz do very nice mohair hoods. Though vinyl is less bulky when folded and cheaper.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

About 10 years ago I bought a surrey top, which included a metal hard top and a canvas rag top. Now, I have to admit, I'm thinking of selling the whole thing and moving back to the original convertible my car originally was. I miss the full "top down" feeling. I had everything on the surrey nicely restored at Enginuity, but I never use the hard top, and although I find the surrey nice, it is nothing like having the top completely down. Before I go ahead with this, I have a few questions. I have the original stick frame with my old rag top on it -- can the frame be repainted, or a new one purchased? Also, who makes the best rag tops? I've seen some attractive canvas ones, but do they fold down well enough, and small enough, to allow a cover on top? Has any member gone from rag, to surrey, and back again?

Lastly, is the best place to sell the surrey kit eBay?

Thoughts welcome!

Thanks...yes it is a metal frame and top. Some welding to remove original rust on a corner by Enginuity, but top repainted/refrubished and relined. The glass window has new rubber, but also some scratches and could use a polish or a replacement piece of glass to be perfect, although it hasn't bothered me. I'll post some pictures in a bit.

Answers may vary.

All I can say is that I DO understand what you are saying.

Many years ago I had a six with a factory steel hardtop. Very nice it was too. It was a bit heavy but it was really nice during the winter months. When it came to summer it was merely undo four bolts and lift off, bolt the soft top on and press down the studs and you had full open air motoring for the summer. Sometimes I would even swop them over if there was a nice spell in the winter as it really didn't take more than a few minutes (kept the tools inside the car to save looking for them each time)

I've now got a 4A with a surrey because I wanted the same arrangement as before. However, I've discovered that it isn't as easy to remove the surrey as it was the hard top of the six... unless anyone has any tips!