Beneficial Surface coatings.

I'm hoping that thos of you much more experienced than I have heard of the latest development in the states, picked up rumours of ebay, about Kevlar and molyybdenum coated directional paint, laughlingly described as "go faster stripes".This basically entails a coating in latitudinal sections, generally horizontal, but sometimes at angles, or in the more extreme experimental cases in patterns in the BMW "flame" style.

The benefits of this coating have been lauded as accelerating airflow over sections of the body, as in an airplane wing or foil on a boat, this acceleration causing low pressure above a regular pressure section, enabling balanced airflow across complex body panel shapes.

Sounds fantastic?  I've seen graphs and testimonials, surely the F1 boys will be joining in? Unless they developed it secretly? The paint does seem to come in red only!

We've got some on order, if anyone wants us to order some for them, let me know, it cuts down the carriage cost from over the water.

Rob.

Guest andywduck

Rob

Afraid I've beaten you to it! I picked up some of this stuff a couple of months ago, and applied it to my TR4. I'm afraid the main "gurus" I spoke to were poo-pooing the concept, but also wanted to charge extortionate amounts to supply, so I found my own source.

I don't want to say exactly what I did, but it results in a significant increase in downforce, overcoming the inherent aerodynamic inefficiencies of the TR4 shape, and resulting increase in performance and road holding. This has I believe enabled better results, and helped us to "win" the Fellsman last weekend.  

Mine is in green, so it doesn't show. If you can import the stuff, then by all means go ahead, it can only benefit us all.

Careful mapping of the surface of the car is required, and I actually manged to get a little wind tunnel time to assist in getting the right distribution, but boy did it pay off!

Go ahead and market this to the rest of the TR Register, it can only help us all!

Andy

Andy,

didn't realise it was available in any colour other than red, so maybe the Ferrari conection was a false trail, would you be able to get your hands on any wedgewood blue coating?

Surely this stuff could be developed in clear, if the Kevlar proportion was lowered?

Could you send me diagrams of how your tunnel testing progressed? My mapping program keeps locking up over the rear wheel arch sections, it seems the interaction between the body and the rear bumper is confusing it (bloody zx81!).

Maybe I'll just take the bumper off, rough airflow over there any way.

Rob.

I saw a program on TV the other day about this stuff, as applied to a few airliners experimentally. It appears to save something like about 3% in fuel costs, but is still too expensive to justify widespread use. I gather it works by reducing turbulence between the relatively still boundary layer air just above the aerodynamic surface. In effect I think the stripes align what turbulence is produced more in the direction of the airflow. I wondered at the time, how long it would be before the F1 teams latched on to it, if they haven't already.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Just coated my bonnet and lower body panels in the clear laquer version of this coating, extra 4 mph down Donington straight!

:D

I thought the 1st of april has passed, but in the States the 1st of april lasts forever that's why it's the country of Mickey Mouse   :D.  I can understand that on jets this kind of paint could have a positive influence. Reading the figures indicated I have great doubts that, at the speed our cars travel, the difference could be measured. 3% gain in fuel consumption

means that the plane will travel a very little faster as before, the required power input is in square to the gain the speed.

But this things go at 500 knots and burn more than 10k pounds an hour. Calculate the speed and painted surface of a plane back to a TR and you will end up with 000 ???

Let's say a little above that :;):

Jean

P.S. On jet wings they fit small tabs to disturb the laminar airflow at certain sections and to increase it at other sections, should we maybe put some of this tabs on our TRs :)

This looks like an extemely exciting concept and I look forward to it becoming availible in wedgewood blue for application to my own car. Rob - order me a big pot and a 5 inch brush so that I can get the lined pattern 'natural'.

Im particularly keen to make the most of this modern racing technology in tandem with a great big f*** off roof spolier on my hard to increase the downforce.

My aerodynamic studies thus far have also demonstrated that the door handles cause major drag and I would trust that the mapping discussed has revealed a new form that can be used to maximise the air scoring effect of the mirrors and gutter channels, which as you know result in the characteristic vapour trails of the TR4 with surrey top at full chat.

Regards

Tony

Tony, I can agree with water trails, but not with vapour trails on a TR. For that kind of trails you will have to create quite a vacuum on the top of the car, and do that with the aerodynamic shape available you will have to drive far above 300 miles/hour.

Jean

Guest andywduck

I have tried sticking those little "post-it" tabs on my TR4 in a controlled experiment, and they certainly seemed to make a bit of a difference.

I am now going to try a combination of the revington fuel injection kit and nitrous, combined with post it notes, directional paint and earth straps,  to see if I can get near the speed Jean recommends, to attepmt the vapour trail.

Must admit, with my slightly worn engine, i get a bit of a vapour trail anyway!

Im sure thats right but often a few bottle of Kingfisher with said curry give me the right amount of valve bounce to make further forward movement simply impossible .....

Regards

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
With a carefull application of a lighter, the morning after said curry and Kingfishers, jet assistance may result helping break the 300MPH and creating said vapour trails.  n'est-ce pas ?