Ceramic Exhaust

Hello All,

Just though I'd show you a few photos of our new exhaust system which is stainless steel and coated in 'Performance Sterling Silver' by Zircotec. They claim that this coating reduces under body heat by 30%.

The exhaust is coated as far back as the joint near the rear of the cockpit. The job cost £345 and Zircotec were very efficient and charming to deal with. (I have no association with the firm).

Also for your interest some photos of our 'beefed up' body fixing points to take the roll cage when it is fitted.

Regards,

Martin

post-4338-0-06539100-1290976939_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-52312100-1290976969_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-91902500-1290976990_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-16334100-1290977018_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-06539100-1290976939_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-52312100-1290976969_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-91902500-1290976990_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-16334100-1290977018_thumb.jpg

Edited by TR Man

Hello All,

Just though I'd show you a few photos of our new exhaust system which is stainless steel and coated in 'Performance Sterling Silver' by Zircotec. They claim that this coating reduces under body heat by 30%.

The exhaust is coated as far back as the joint near the rear of the cockpit. The job cost £345 and Zircotec were very efficient and charming to deal with. (I have no association with the firm).

Also for your interest some photos of our 'beefed up' body fixing points to take the roll cage when it is fitted.

Regards,

Martin

Very interesting stuff. Would make a nice job of my freshly sandblasted cast manifold but a bit pricey for me and heat is much less of an issue. As an aside, the American Motors Rambler had ceramic steel exhaust systems in the late 50s or early sixties, bathtub technology, I guess. I like to remember these things when revolutionary new products come about. I don’t know why Rambler did that but I assume for longevity. Engineers apparently forgot that the exhaust rots from the inside out.

Good work on the outriggers too. When you think about it, there really isn’t much that holds the body to the chassis on these.

Tom

Hello All,

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin

Top job well done ;) may I ask where you got the radiator from?

Tom - I bought a new Falcon stainless steel exhaust from Cox and Buckles (before they moved and became Moss Europe) while they were still on Manor Road in 1988. In 20 years of summertime driving - only on paved roads, I have bumped my exhaust silencers (mufflers) many times and there are fairly big dents in both. The resonance I get at 3000 RPM actually split my 24" long front muffler two years ago from end to end. This was repaired by my neighbour who has a TIG welder.

My point is that I feel there is no longevity to caramic coating the pipes etc, towards the back of the car.

As for the exhaust manifold on my 1958 TR3A, it is the original cast iron one and 20 years ago, I brushed on a coating of silvery grey high temperature paint from Hirsch in New Jersey and today, after 105,000 miles it still looks like I had it ceramic coated.

Eastwood also sell a similar product.

Hi Martin

Top job well done ;) may I ask where you got the radiator from?

Hello Neil,

I got the radiator from Daryll Uprichard a few years ago. Can't remember how much I paid. It has an electric puller fan on the rear. I do not know where Racetrorations source these radiators but have seen them on images of other TRs from time to time.

Regards,

Martin

I'll be charming as hell for £350!

That's less than some quotes, but 30% less heat??

As thrashed out at length in a previous thread, I'm sceptical about these coatings.

Please let us know how hot you get when the car is finished!

John