Clutch Release Bearing Carrier

Guys

Gearbox is out and I have purchased a bronze clutch release bearing carrier to replace the existing steel one. I note that the pin which stops the carrier turning on the input shaft is a removable item.

I understand that on early TR's the bearing carrier did not have a pin and so the carrier could spin on the input shaft. The later cars have the pin.

I also note that Mr Revington, in the blurb for his bronze carrier notes "The original TR4A part was made from phosphor bronze and is able to spin, resulting in the operating pins finding a new spot to rest at each operation. The TR250, 5 and 6 part whilst physically the same as the TR4A part, was made from steel and incorporated a small pin through the operating pin recess. The change of material would doubtless have taken place on cost grounds, the pin being introduced to stop aggressive wear.The bad news is that the fact that the carrier does not spin means that the operating pins always stop in the same place, resulting in excessive wear in this one spot.Our product is made from very high grade phosphor bronze, has no small pin preventing rotation and as a result no grooves are made by the operating pins. Carriers were never a problem on TR2-4A's and they were all phosphor bronze!"

So my question to the Forum. Guys do I put the pin into my new bronze carrier (not purchased from Mr Revington) or leave it out?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Regards

Tim

Edited by TIMS

Hi Tim,

the way I've heard it explained in the past, the term 'phosphor bronze' covers a whole range of copper alloys - the minority constituents of tin and phosphor, and in some mixes a marginal amount of lead, vary according to the intended application. If the particular carrier that you have is made of the right stuff, hard enough and smooth enough to be less prone to friction and 'aggressive' wear than steel, then surely it shouldn't need a pin ?

There must be someone amongst us with pukka metallurgical knowledge who can offer a proper explanation ?

Cheers,

Alec

Guys

So my question to the Forum. Guys do I put the pin into my new bronze carrier (not purchased from Mr Revington) or leave it out?

or convert it to slipper pads from a saloon sprint.get the grove the pins sits in made wider much better arrangemaent.

richard

Hi Tim/Alec,

if I am thinking about the correct item then the two pins on the fork that move the carrier forward should be hard enough for normal operation.

However, as Brass/Bronze is 'sort of' self lubricating then the action of the carrier spinning will not wear the two fork pins significantly.

The steel carrier on the other hand has no such properties and having it spinning/rubbing at the two fork pins would cause unacceptable wear quite quickly. As the carrier has no real need to spin then fixing the steel carrier with an extra pin will reduce this area of concern.

Thus Brass/Bronze, no pin let it spin

Steel, use a pin.

Roger

Roger

Thanks for the reply. That supports my gut feel. So, when I get the box back, a polish of the input shaft and the inside of the carrier and in it will go without a pin.

Regards

Tim

Roger

Thanks for the reply. That supports my gut feel. So, when I get the box back, a polish of the input shaft and the inside of the carrier and in it will go without a pin.

Regards

Tim

Tim,

Read this

I too fitted a phosphor bronze carrier

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=25997&view=findpost&p=191546

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal