new 123 ignition

i dont know if anyone has seen this on 123 ignition web site.

they are making a dizzy you can set up and tune on your laptop.and with engine running.

sounds too good to be true.cant find a price?

richard

http://www.123ignition.nl/downloads/folder/123ignition-tune-productsheet-2010.pdf

Edited by rpurchon

I replaced the dissy on my wife's Moggie with a 123 unit and was impressed with it's timing accuracy. The timing mark is absolutely still when viewed under a strobe light. I also noticed an improvement in torque.

So when the opportunity presented itself I also replaced the dissy on my TR6 with a 123 unit. This resulted in better bottom end take up. I think the build quality is good, especially the dissy cap (Bosch). Not too keen on having to take the dissy out in order to amend the curves by way of a dip switch in it's base. But once set up it never needs changing. Initial set up is also very easy by way of a light on the dissy that illuminates when you have rotated the dissy assembly to the correct position having set up the timing mark beforehand.

I think it's a good alternative if you are faced with having to replace your existing unit, or an expensive refurbishment.

As far as I am aware there is no provision for a mechanical rev counter on current models, and I have found electronic conversions of the existing rev counter to be expensive. So I have purchased an off-the-shelf electronic rev counter and intend to try to mount that in a TR6 rev counter body once I have some more time on my hands (busy with a house renovation). If successful I might be able to offer other members a conversion service.

TRTerry

Looks interesting.....what price?, but not too sure about having the electronics inside the 'distributor'.... serious heat and vibration there. As seen in another dizzy post recently, I've been using the Megajolt system and can heartily recommend it having been on the car since the restoration. http://www.autosportlabs.net/Megajolt_Lite_Jr. (about £100 for control module with the rest available from scrap (recycling!) yard)

Can do all the same sort of things (and more), i.e programmable curves, rev limiter, switchable maps(really useful that one when touring and forced to run on lower grade petrol) etc. etc. It has the advantage of not being physically attached to the engine.

john

Looks interesting.....what price?, but not too sure about having the electronics inside the 'distributor'.... serious heat and vibration there. As seen in another dizzy post recently, I've been using the Megajolt system and can heartily recommend it having been on the car since the restoration. http://www.autosportlabs.net/Megajolt_Lite_Jr. (about £100 for control module with the rest available from scrap (recycling!) yard)

Can do all the same sort of things (and more), i.e programmable curves, rev limiter, switchable maps(really useful that one when touring and forced to run on lower grade petrol) etc. etc. It has the advantage of not being physically attached to the engine.

john

ive been thinking about a 123 but thought the adjustment could have been easier/better.

new version seems ideal,except price exchange rate. wouldnt buy one yet not untill

they have been around 6 months to iron out any bugs.

re the mega jolt

how do you alter the settings.how does it connect to a pc.is it easy to set?

does the coil pack fire all 6 each time.how do you switch settings

cheers richard

Edited by rpurchon

...re the mega jolt

how do you alter the settings.how does it connect to a pc.is it easy to set?

does the coil pack fire all 6 each time.how do you switch settings

cheers richard

Hi Richard,

the MegaJolt electronics module is inside the car (passenger footwell for mine) and the PC just plugs in (old laptop with serial port or adaptor). Various maps can be easily downloaded from those who have done it before and modified as you like.... on the fly if you want. The two individual maps can be selected via a toggle switch on the dash and change instantly whilst driving. Can also include a programmable rev limiter (useful if you are pressing on and 'forget' to change!)...but there's also a cluster of 'change lights' if you want :P along with electronic rev counter drive and other sensors.

It seems that they may not supply the kit version any longer...that saved a bit too....but worth asking.

The system is crank fired and so needs a toothed sensor wheel fitted to the front....a bit of hassle, but much more precise than any dizzy. The coil pack fires in pairs (of 2, 3 or 4) (one spark is wasted)....the EDIS module alone will run the car without the electronics module connected at all, at 10 degrees advance, limp home mode....that's useful for checking the timing with a strobe....it's rock steady.

john

The 123Ignition with the selectable pre-defined advance curves has been around for some time now and I have not seen any negative comments on reliability on this forum. I can't see why the ability to program the advance curves should make the electronics less reliable unless the bits and bytes are in a different type of memory which becomes more volotile as temperature rises.

So we await the results of the trial mentioned in an earlier post on this forum:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=24116&st=0&p=172920&fromsearch=1entry172920

If it fails one can easily put back the old dizzy.

Stan

Edited by smizgals

I fitted a “standard” 123 earlier this year and have been very impressed. Installation seems to have cured all the remaining wee bugs in performance such as running out of puff too early, not quite perfect take up etc.

Car is suddenly happy! (Don’t know how else to describe it).

I agree with TR Terry comment on timing accuracy. It was the 4 degree blur from the Pertronix on a probably worn dizzy, that pushed me to make the change in the first place.

Only problem was a cross threaded plug on the 123 that took some getting out but apart from that, I have done 5K miles on it in the year to date and it hasn’t missed a beat.

Like TR Terry I intend to try to fit the working bits of an electronic rev counter I harvested from an old kit car into the Triumph dial.

I think the 123 company will fit their electronics into your own dizzy. Am sure I read that somewhere.

Will be interested to hear about the laptop programmable version…..but the piggy bank is empty for this year.

John

• 4 months later...

I fitted a “standard” 123 earlier this year and have been very impressed.

John

Today a all new 123 ignition build on a refurbished Lucas distributor was fitted to my car.

I can come only to one conclusion.

Should have done this much earlier :D:D

No more pinking or holding back just smooth engine operation.

Since the el unit is built in a original distributor the rev counter works as it used to, fine.

Looks like this 123-2-los.gif

One happy TR^6 driver

Edited by Willem

Today a all new 123 ignition build on a refurbished Lucas distributor was fitted to my car.

I can come only to one conclusion.

Should have done this much earlier :D:D

No more pinking or holding back just smooth engine operation.

Since the el unit is built in a original distributor the rev counter works as it used to, fine.

Looks like this 123-2-los.gif

One happy TR^6 driver

That sounds great !

I was previously put off by the lack of distributor drive, but now thats not an issue so am very interested.

What was the cost of the unit, and did they modify yours or rebuild a replacement one?

regds

That sounds great !

I was previously put off by the lack of distributor drive, but now thats not an issue so am very interested.

What was the cost of the unit, and did they modify yours or rebuild a replacement one?

regds

I got this from a small ad in the Club triumph Holland magazine.

A very small shop in Eindhoven NL with a very nice car enthousiastic owner.

He refurbishes these distributors himself.

New axle and bearings and fits in cooperation with the 123 firm, the electronics part.

I drove overthere and a new one was fitted and the old one held back.

Total costs just under 400 euro's

See http://www.123ignition-conversions.com/Index.html and no i have no stocks just a very nice running car B)B)

Edited by Willem