Horn does not want to honk

Finishing the rebuild, attach the steering wheel and the horn will not honk. Short circuited the live wire to the horns direct

eliminating the button and they sound great. The wiring is a new loom and also new wiring at the wheel. Not sure how to test

wiring at the wheel with my multimeter. Cannot believe the wheel centre is faulty as that is new and dont want to take it apart.

Anybody any ideas and any tests I can perform to eliminate parts. Also just finishing fitting carpets and the front drivers

mat goes up the footwell just past the foot pedal bracket, is it best to just cut the carpet and wrap it round or remove

the 4 bolts and tuck it behind thus making it a pain later if you want to remove the carpet.

Cheers Alan.

Hi Alan

I had similar but intermittent problems - the cause was a bad earth down the steering column to the chassis. First, check continuity across the column 'UJ's' there was an earthing strap that wasn't doing its job! Also, it may require you to split the splined linkages and give a good wire brush to also help the continuity.

I have found many electrical issues are down to bad earths!

Good luck!

Hi Alan

I had similar but intermittent problems - the cause was a bad earth down the steering column to the chassis. First, check continuity across the column 'UJ's' there was an earthing strap that wasn't doing its job! Also, it may require you to split the splined linkages and give a good wire brush to also help the continuity.

I have found many electrical issues are down to bad earths!

Good luck!

Yes, if you have rebuilt your column using the standard rubber doughnuts (instead of the later all metal universal joints) you will need to have installed an earth wire on each one. This is threaded though the centre of each doughnut and the ends are clamped by one of the fixing bolts on each end. If your rack is rubber mounted then you will need to earth that as well.

Finally if you have checked all the wiring lots of times with no fault found, then before shooting yourself or the car make sure the sprung connector in the wheel boss is making contact to the tab on the back of the horn push at one end and to the slip ring at the other., that's all that's left.:)

Mike

Hi Ian/Mike

Still no music. Done a continuity test on the earth side and have earth from steering wheel nut to chassis , and

continuity from horn push brush contact ( in steering wheel ) to connection at relay (purple/black wire ).

Horn works if I connect purple/yellow wire to purple therby eliminating the horn button so I assume that must be problem.

Have wired an old 6PA relay up as per wiring diagram as that shows those markings (CI Purple/Yellow ) , (C2 Purple ),

(W1 Purple/Black ) but not sure if that relay is broken. Have replaced that 6PA relay with new Lucas 33358D type and have

wired it C2 Purple to 87 , C1 Purple/Yellow to 30/51 , and W1 Purple/Black to 86 and still no joy. All the earth straps are new

and surfaces clean(continuity test proves it) and I have 2 earth straps on the steering rack.Tried using other forms

of metal to eliminate button but to no effect.Anybody got any suggestion ,because as soon as I can fix it I can get this old

classic back on the road after a 15 year restoration (never thought it would take that much time ).

Cheers Alan

Steve

Tried every permutation possible still no noise. Tried a new relay which worked okay on my kenlowe but to no

avail. Noticed on the wiring to the kenlowe an earth wire was connected to one of the terminals on the relay

so tried that but nothing. Trying to get my head round how the horn button works as it is in contact with

the plunger permanently I assume inside the button something makes contact with the screw holding the metal

strip that is in contact with the plunger. Also is the metal piece on the side of the push button the earthing

point. I have tried various different means of pushing the plunger in with metal objects but nothing is

happening. Any ideas anybody or else I have to buy a old fashion hooter and clamp it on the door.

Thanks Alan.

Hi Alan,

If the relay is wired correctly by removing the Purple/Black wire and replacing it with an earthing wire the horn should be on all the time, as the Purple/Black wire earth's the relay thorough the horn push.

The Purple wire does need to connect to one of the winding contacts and one of the switch contacts of the relay at the same time (unless they are connected internally).

I would now try and get the horn to work by using an earthing wire as above before moving on to the horn push.

The horn push can be tested by connecting a meter between the Purple/Black wire and earth. There should be continuity when you press the horn push.

Steve

iz7onc.jpg

Click on thumbnail

The clip on the side of the horn push is not the earthing point. There's a wire from the insulator/slip ring (608462 in the Moss UK catalogue)that has a wire to the upper inner column to complete the ground circuit from the horn push. Is that connected to the inner column? The brush can be checked by taking it out and seeing if the circuit is completed when you push on the ends. In the original wiring harness, there is a 35 apm fuse in the wire from the starter solenoid. Have you checked that fuse?

I am now in a muddle Steve. Removed the purple/black wire and replaced with earth wire still nothing happening.

Did you mean that the purple wire needs to connect to the relay at 2 points ? Have connected the meter between

purple/black and earth and have continuity without pressing button. Hows that happening ?

Have looked at the insulator ring as Smokey suggests but only one wire purple/black which I assume is the one

going to the relay via a connection , so what earth wire to column are we suppose to have.

Peter I have got a new spring contact and all seems okay there.

Badshead - I would like to look to see how yours is wired, not getting very far. (Not sure how to contact you )

Cheers Alan.

Badshead - I would like to look to see how yours is wired, not getting very far. (Not sure how to contact you )

Cheers Alan.

Alan

Look in your personal messages (top right corner of screen).. have sent you my phone number. You're welcome to take a look at my TR4A - wasn't far from you today, had a blast up Cheddar Gorge and over the Mendips this afternoon as the sun was putting in a rare appearance :)

Cheers

Bill

Hi Alan,

If you have continuity all the time between the Purple/Black wire and earth then there is a short somewhere. A short at this point should be sounding the horn all the time!

Yes unless the 33358D relay has the connection made internally which I don't think it has the Purple wire needs to be connected at two points 85 and 87, being the terminals I think.

Steve

35220k8.jpg

Click on thumbnail

Steve

Just tried your 2 wire approach and its working. Many thanks for that, cant believe the time

and trouble its taken. Now on to the start up and rolling it out of the garage.

Bill many thanks for your invite maybe see you around sometime.

Cheers Alan