Reinstalling a gearbox...

I'm about to reinstall my gearbox for the third time in a 2 months. The first time it went easily, the second time took two hours, any tips as to how to do it quickly? I have lowered the engine slightly (so it slopes) and am bringing the gearbox in rotated to avoid a clash with the exhaust...it's quite heavy!

I'm about to reinstall my gearbox for the third time in a 2 months.

The first time it went easily, the second time took two hours, any

tips as to how to do it quickly? I have lowered the engine slightly

(so it slopes) and am bringing the gearbox in rotated to avoid a

clash with the exhaust...it's quite heavy!

You may well have done this in your previous reinstallations,

but I used to position a trolley jack under the car, hoick the

gearbox into the car and onto the jack - it helps to manoevre

into position.

But it's still heavy!

AlanR

Every time I had to do this, I was lucky to have a friend to stand up top, one foot on each floor pan, while I was underneath lying on my back on a rolling dolly or an a piece of old carpet to hoist up the front end and look up in front of the bell housing to see that the input shaft of the gearbox was lining up with the center of where it should go. Verbal instuctions to my friend helped with this and then we would both rotate it and push it forward.

There was one time it wouldn't slide into place so I (we) pulled it back and found that the clutch lining was in place but back to front.

Dont forget to put it in gear so you can rotate the prop flange to line the splines up easier on the nose shaft.

Stuart.