speedo needle flicker

Hi Guys, just been to my first Int weekend - great - 427 miles and the car didn't miss a beat. The cars first long run, ie more than 30 miles, since 1993. Before going to Malvern I decided to fit a new speedo cable to stop the needle flickering - believing this would fix the problem - but it hasn't. Any thoughts?

Speedo head needs cleaning!

Angle drive needs oiling!

Inner gearbox drive gear sticking!

Diconnect cable,angle from gearbox and turn using a battery power drill,if it still flicks,remove angle,if it still does it it probably speedo!

Was it a complete cable,not just the inner?

Hi Guys, just been to my first Int weekend - great - 427 miles and the car didn't miss a beat. The cars first long run, ie more than 30 miles, since 1993. Before going to Malvern I decided to fit a new speedo cable to stop the needle flickering - believing this would fix the problem - but it hasn't. Any thoughts?

brass bush in the speedo head. where the needle seats is worn.

how do i know .took mine personaly to jdo for recal and repair.same problem

richard

Jeff,

make sure that the cable run is smooth - no kinks.

If you are tempted to put oil down the outer cable (which it may well require) keep it too a minimum - you don't want it to run up into the speedo.

The flex drive in the angle drive often gets mangled before it fails - thus giving odd readings.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

If you suspect the head, try turning the input shaft with a screwdiver that fits the diagonal of the square. If you feel a tight spot once per revolution, the input shaft bearing probably needs cleaning and oiling.

I had a fairly bad twitch, worse at low speeds caused by that.

Well the speedo had the twitch.

Mike.