Engine knocking noise

Hello all.

Having an electric fan fitted and with the old machanical one removed for some time. I thought it was time I bought the narrow fan belt conversion kit, with the harmonic damper, to replace the heavy fan extension. I had a bit of a mishap when trying to remove the old pully from the dynamo and broke one of the lugs that bolts it to the engine. So in the end I have also fitted an alternator.

So I finally get it all back together and start the engine. I go for a little drive and there is a very bad knocking noise coming from the engine. It sounds low down at the front. Very noisy at tick over, eases a bit if reved, then comes back again.

Is this likely to be bearings? Could I have caused this when pulling the old crank pully off. It was tight but I did not belt it with hammer or anything.

Could this be just a coincidence that this noise has started straight away.

The engine is the original from 1962 with no previous work as far as I know, I knew I would need to do an engine rebuild one day.

Any suggestions.

Rob

Thanks Roger

I checked the pully wheel again, and what an idiot, the bolt had not been tightened up. Just gone for a drive and all seems well.

Rob

I admire your honesty Rob, put your mistake down to an 'oversight'... :D

Cheers

Tony

I admire your honesty Rob, put your mistake down to an 'oversight'... :D

Cheers

Tony

I'm shooting for first prize here. I left the spanner on the 'jesus' nut on the crankshaft then came back later and hit the starter. Luckily the patron saint of idiots was visiting at the time, and it(open ender) fell off before the engine caught, and missed hitting anything important. (Haven't been at my best lately.)

Edited by littlejim

Hi LittleJim,

It may be best to use a socket & ratchet. If you do hit the button then it will free run against the ratchet.

Or you could do as we do on the aircraft tie a red flag to it hanging over the wing.

Roger

I'm shooting for first prize here. I left the spanner on the 'jesus' nut on the crankshaft then came back later and hit the starter. Luckily the patron saint of idiots was visiting at the time, and it(open ender) fell off before the engine caught, and missed hitting anything important. (Haven't been at my best lately.)

Been there, done that.

Tee shirt etc.

Thankfully only on a Ford.

Edited by HPA 510K

Hi LittleJim,

It may be best to use a socket & ratchet. If you do hit the button then it will free run against the ratchet.

Or you could do as we do on the aircraft tie a red flag to it hanging over the wing.

Roger

Regrettably not enough room for the socket and ratchet, being ex-RAAF I should have thought of the red flag. I thought I'd red flagged it in one of the grey cells, but something else pushed the contents out. Have finished the 10 day course of Erythromycin so hopefully the brain might start working again but not sure I can trust the b*stard now.

Erythromycin???

Thanks to the NHS I've been on it for 2 years now.

Brain? What's one of them then?

Left a spanner on a nut, Oh No, Not Me, Never, Ever --------------------------:wacko: