Windscreen question

Having removed the windsceen on my 3A (later fixing with bolts not Dzus clips) I have found that the scuttle is deformed and corroded under the point where the screen stantions attach. Should there be a plate of some sort attached to the scuttle or a rubber gasket between the scuttle and the stantions? All the drawings that I can find only show the earlier type.

Regards, Derek.

Having removed the windsceen on my 3A (later fixing with bolts not Dzus clips) I have found that the scuttle is deformed and corroded under the point where the screen stantions attach. Should there be a plate of some sort attached to the scuttle or a rubber gasket between the scuttle and the stantions? All the drawings that I can find only show the earlier type.

Regards, Derek.

The answer is NO, no strengthening plate or rubber was used, carefully cut out the old metal and weld in a new plate.

There is a staunchen guide plate, LH & RH, 552818 & 552819. As far as I know it's the same plate whether dzus or bolt. My late 3A has this plate, but no rubber. Parts books can be a little confusing at times.

Cheers, peterm

Hi Pterm,

My car was the same as Pete describes, no strengthening plate no rubber just bolts rusted into captive nuts on the underside of the scuttle. My car is late 78900's and was first registered in 1962 in the states and taken off the road in 1971. I dont know which is correct plates or no plates but I will not be putting any on when I finish the rebuild, like pete I have had to repair the deformed/rusted scuttle as well

Cheers

Alan

Regards, Derek.

Hi Derek,

When I removed the screen on my 3a (Bolted type) at the start of its rebuild I found that on one side the area around the fixings had been lead filled. whether this was a previous owner or done at the factory, I can't answer but it hadn't rusted whereas as on the other (unfilled) side it had started to rust. When I repaired the rusted section, I lead filled it to get it back to the right profile and hopefully it will be like the first side and remain rust free.

Rgds Ian

Hi Pterm,

My car was the same as Pete describes, no strengthening plate no rubber just bolts rusted into captive nuts on the underside of the scuttle. My car is late 78900's and was first registered in 1962 in the states and taken off the road in 1971. I dont know which is correct plates or no plates but I will not be putting any on when I finish the rebuild, like pete I have had to repair the deformed/rusted scuttle as well

Cheers

Alan

To me, it makes sense that when the windscreen is held on with dzus fasteners,

some additional locating feature is required.

But - when they are bolted on, that gives a stronger fixing and guide plates

may not be required. (although there is a definite limit to how much you can

tighten the screw bolt).

My bolted-on windscreen had NO guide plates, but that was one of the rare

aluminium frame and stanchions, so that could just have been different.

AlanR