Dizzy or not dizzy

Hi guys,

The TR4 sports a 25D4 Lucas dizzy. Late TR3A/B with the 2138 cc block have a DM2 dizzy. Both are set at 10° dynamic as stamped on the bobweights. Are they interchangeable?

Badfrog

Hi Badfrog,

According to the Moss site - yes they are: Moss

As a double check, I went to the Starchak site and looked up the two numbers (25D4=40795 and DM2P4=40735) and both appear to have the same advance curve.

What surprises me most about the settings is that it appears that maximum advance is acheived at 1200 RPM at the dizzy - 2400RPM at the engine. That seems awfully slow to have the maximum advance....... anyone know why??

Bri.

Edited by Brian-Northampton

Badfrog, the Lucas 25D4 dizzy p/n 40795 was just an evolutionary product introduced during TR4 production.

There's no reason why the DM2P4 Dizzy p/n 40735, which was fitted to 86mm (2138cc) engines up to the early TR4's, won't work perfectly well.

TR4 dizzy specs were - max advance (crankshaft) 11 degrees BTDC, vacuum advance 5.5 degrees, automatic advance commences 350RPM.

However any engine upgrade such as a different camshaft or raised compression would see either dizzy needing to be recalibrated to suit.

Martin Jay, The Distributor Doctor, would have chapter and verse on this at email martin@distributordoctor.com

Regards,

Viv.

Hi Badfrog,

According to the Moss site - yes they are: Moss

As a double check, I went to the Starchak site and looked up the two numbers (25D4=40795 and DM2P4=40735) and both appear to have the same advance curve.

What surprises me most about the settings is that it appears that maximum advance is acheived at 1200 RPM at the dizzy - 2400RPM at the engine. That seems awfully slow to have the maximum advance....... anyone know why??

Bri.

Hi Brian,

FWIW, when Martin Jay set up my Dizzy, the maximum advance came in at 3K RPM. Engine fairly standard with 4A cam and 87mm pistons with head slightly shaved.

Geoff

Hi guys,

Thanks for the infos. I was pretty sure I could do the swap but a bit of advice never hurts. The only minor difference is the shape of the alloy part going into the pedestal. I want to use it as pure original mechanical spare while my 45D4 is Pertronix-equipped (real good).

Alec P. told me Martin Jay will be at Malvern. There will be a thorough chat on dizzy matters then.

See you there, if I can pass Calais......

Cheers,

Badfrog