Does anyone know either of these cars?

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C162083/

Also, any ideas who the "TR register expert" might be?

Second one -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1962-TRIUMPH-TR3b-CONVERTIBLE-BLACK-/200482650849?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2eadb27ae1

If anyone has any personal knowledge of them I would be interested to hear it, PM is fine if you'd rather not use the forum.

Thanks

Andy

I believe that the 1st one has been discussed elsewhere on the forum in the past few days.

The expert is/was Brian page of Classic Assessments.

Thanks David, I have found the thread. Have emailed the seller to find out a bit more about the build spec and what cam it is using, I wouldn't be interested in something that wasn't reasonably tractable.

Andy

Someone is probably holding the bonnet up higher than the stay rod to let more sunlight in for a better engine pic.

What it shows is Zenith-Stromberg carbies that were never fitted to new TR3B's.

And as David mentioned, it's strange to be advertising the car minus the door cappings if a top price is expected.

Regards,

Viv.

There's other stuff that just doesn't look right too.

With seemingly nice cars llke this, I always wonder what there is that cannot be seen that isn't right.

If you are considering this car, you'll need to make sure you know exactly what has been done to it during its restoration and since.

I don't want you to think that I'm knocking this car as it may turn out to be a great buy.

If the expensive bits such as the body are right, the other stuff can be sorted out.

In my experience, turning a rotten sidescreen body into one built out of steel with a top quality paint job is not a cheap exercise!

David

David, if you are talking about the steering wheel, that's the different adjustable version commonly ordered on cars sold in the US, along with steel wheels. Very few cars were sold in the US with overdrive, as it appears the benefits weren't fully understood.

The dash would have been originally trimmed in red vynil to match the seats etc., other than the centre guage panel which was crinkle black paint.

At least black is an original TR3B colour, of just the four options available.

Regards,

Viv.

It is a beautiful TR3B, I must admit. However, his price seems a little high. One thing that he has going for him, that he hasn't emphasized, is that his car is probably one-of-a-kind; i.e., a RHS TR3B. As you pointed out, there are major changes under the hood (bonnet), and I missed the rotted side curtains. My first car was a 1958 version of this car.

Talking to younger folks these days, they cannot understand the negative reaction to the TR-4. I try to explain it to them, as I was one of the TR4 detractors. My group of TR3 owners felt that roll-up windows were heresy. We looked at the TR4 and MGB as if they had dropped in from Mars. It took me a LONG time to accept them as sportscars. Now, our Triumph Club is dominated by TR6s (stands to reason, as they were the most popular-selling TR). And, of course, the younger TR6 owners cannot see the appeal of a sidecurtain car at all. I try to explain to them that if it were not for the TR3A, there would probably BE no TR4s thru TR8s. (I concede that this point is arguable.)

I had a pleasant surprise Saturday night. I won both my class and "Sponsor's Choice" at a 285-car Car Show. 95% of the entries were American hotrods and Corvettes. The last of the 25 classes was Foreign Cars and Trucks. There were two nice E-types there, so I was surprised at my win. (I exclude modern Porsches, Z-cars, and BMWs.)

Does anybody know the TCF#? Did I miss it or is it not listed?

Would this conversion to RHD on a TR3B devalue it since it was originally LHD (bound for American market?) Or will it not matter at all because it's a "B"!

Anybody?

I wonder if during restoration they changed the TCF plate to reflect without the "L" for LHD with one of those repro plates I've seen. I can't read the TCF tag in the pix.

Someone is probably holding the bonnet up higher than the stay rod to let more sunlight in for a better engine pic.

Regards,

Viv.

I thought the same thing but I can't see any reflection of an arm holding up the hood (bonnet). I do see a person's body reflection on the fender (snapping the picture).

Edited by GR8968

Does anybody know the TCF#? Did I miss it or is it not listed?

Would this conversion to RHD on a TR3B devalue it since it was originally LHD (bound for American market?) Or will it not matter at all because it's a "B"!

Anybody?

I wonder if during restoration they changed the TCF plate to reflect without the "L" for LHD with one of those repro plates I've seen. I can't read the TCF tag in the pix.

Conversions are a bit in the territory of "Its your car you do what you like with it" But FWIW I would say for a 3b, conversion would detract a bit from its value. My 4a which was a US variant solid axle car would have a lower value as its been converted.(Although its com plate still shows an"L")

Stuart.

Edited by stuart