Door handle conversion...

Has anybody sucessfully converted a new door handle so that the it locks from the inside? I have 4 original door handles and two new ones - I spent a few hours trying to convert the new one to take the old inner lock mechanism but didn't manage it, I'm willing to try it again...

Hi Christian,

new handles are a bit useless. It may be possible to use the gubbins inside to put into the old ones.

If it is possible to get the old ones re-chromed that may be your best path.

The barrels and other bits are interchangeable.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I went through this process a few years ago, and without getting into the details, returned the repro handles because the inner locks could not be made to work, bought some good used originals (so I wouldn't be without any door handles during the replating) and had the originals replated. I have an excellent article somewhere explaining the workings of the original locks and handles, and if it will help, I can dpf it and send it. It was invaluable when I took the handles apart for replating. The handle and button have to be replated separately. Anyway, I would recommend replating the original ones over fiddling with the new ones. I don't think there's any way of making the inner locks work with them.

My originals do not have keys and are very badly pitted. The new ones are clearly sold as not being the same as the original so it's not really fair to send them back for that reason. The new ones may not have an internal lock mechanism but they look good and have keys. If there were a way to adapt them that would have been great...

I may have a spare pair of acceptable, rechromable handles (not horribly pitted) that I can dig out for you if you are interested.

Keys missing isn't a problem as from memory, the key number is stamped into the outside of the barrel, or if not it is on the inside. Keys can be made to the number, or there are a number of suppliers who still have stocks of keys ready cut.

I can provide detyails of one such firm, others will be able to provide suppliers too.

David

• 4 months later...

I went through this process a few years ago, and without getting into the details, returned the repro handles because the inner locks could not be made to work, bought some good used originals (so I wouldn't be without any door handles during the replating) and had the originals replated. I have an excellent article somewhere explaining the workings of the original locks and handles, and if it will help, I can dpf it and send it. It was invaluable when I took the handles apart for replating. The handle and button have to be replated separately. Anyway, I would recommend replating the original ones over fiddling with the new ones. I don't think there's any way of making the inner locks work with them.

Hi Smokey,

As part of my restoration I inherited a box of already dismantled door handles for my TR4 so if you have still got a copy of the article explaining the inner workings I would be very grateful to see it.

Many thanks

John

Hi John, I tried to upload the article, but it's 800 kb in pdf, and it was too large to upload here. I will try to PM it to you, but you should be able to get it from the TR Register. It's a Technicalities article by Dave Worne entitled "Lost Keys". I believe I got the article from the Register.

Thanks Smokey,

Not a problem now ..after some cleaning and general fiddling I've got them back together and working nicely, I have got a set of the newer ones but the alterations are too great for my liking so it's nice to keep original.

I'm Just in the process of trying a company that are confident they can re-plate the mazak alloy so I'll see how the quote works out :unsure:

John

Hi John, I had mine replated with no problem, although you will want to ensure the thumb push part still slides properly after the plating. Explain to the plater how the parts have to work after reassembly. The end result looks great, and all the locks work, including the inside locking mechanism.

I found that there are several parts including the barrel which are side specific. I have two drivers side handles so the passenger side tends to lock itself on its own due to the internal lock mechanism... I would be very interested in any article about the handles.

Hi Randall, as I mentioned, the pdf of the article is too large (800kb) to upload here. I'll PM it to anyone who requests it - lots of pictures.