Boot lid catch...

Would somebody mind sending me a photo of where the inner boot lid catch should be (no.79 on the picture below) - how do you tighten the bolts, is there enough room? Also a location measurement would be very helpful.

Thanks, Christian

S022C2.gif

I would appreciate such a pic meself, showing an original catch that was never madly hammered by an upset TR owner.....

The devil is in the details....

Badfrog

Randall,

looks like the Moss one. Despite filing the holes I couldn't get it high enough for the handle hook to catch.

I made my own with a bit of steel flat and half of a link of chain of approriate size welded on. With the boot rubber off, access to the screws and nuts that hold the catch is pretty good. Screwdriver and socket do the job.

If you can wait about 12 hrs I can oblige with a photo.(yawn)

Edited by littlejim

Thanks Littlejim - I think that answers my questions - so the bolts go through the channel just below the rubber strip...otherwise they would be inaccessable! I will try my new Moss bit first as it is actually identical to the original (which I also have).

Jim

It will never keep your boot shut hung on a tree like that :lol:

Alan

True,

but it matches the black surround beautifully, so I can't have everything.

My first go at 'cutting' with Irfanview - I thought I'd just get the bit in the middle!

Plus I thought you'd like to see it is winter here; I've just raked up about 800 litres of leaves off that tree..

Edited by littlejim

The Moss repro is OK although a bit soft steel but they usually need the holes elongating to get a good fit with the handle and sometimes need shimming as well. One point with the repro is the "Button" isnt too well peened in so may need a bit of fettling.The machine screws go through below the boot rubber so dont forget a bit of sealer around them. ;)

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

The Moss repro is OK although a bit soft steel but they usually need the holes elongating to get a good fit with the handle and sometimes need shimming as well. One point with the repro is the "Button" isnt too well peened in so may need a bit of fettling.The machine screws go through below the boot rubber so dont forget a bit of sealer around them. ;)

Stuart.

Stuart,

my misplaced catch looked like that thing I made up. The part the hook goes under was higher than the level of the boot lip.

The Moss one was a different design, and I ran out of metal before the slot on the Moss one went far enough to let the hook/latch on the handle slip over the lug on it. The Moss lug is below boot lip level.

Edited by littlejim