Someone who knows may save me a lot of mulling over.

liner.jpg

The hard top liner arrived with the extra pieces of material labelled in pencil G, E, and F (x2). G is on the left, E the wider piece next to it.

Are the extra bits meant for relining the backlight?

Edited by littlejim

Hi, yes they are. I still need to do mine so I'm interested to see your use of crockodile clips. My headlining is in black as well which is not as original but should look okay...

Did yopu manage to get the rear chrome strip of the top? - I can't get mine to budge so am leaving it carefully masked off for painting...

Edited by randall977

Hi, yes they are. I still need to do mine so I'm interested to see your use of crockodile clips. My headlining is in black as well which is not as original but should look okay...

Did yopu manage to get the rear chrome strip of the top? - I can't get mine to budge so am leaving it carefully masked off for painting...

It's a while ago, but I vaguely recall using a bit of pine (Mit der hammer) to tap it off. Will reverse the process to get it back on.

The kits seem to supply a lot of extra material. I've just glued some XS felt inside the tin lid, and have a nice collection of black vinyl left over from the back seat/space area. Suspect Hoyle would not approve of what I've done. However LJ does.

Footnote: by the time the bit pictured crosses the Pacific Ocean it has a few unwanted creases in it. They ironed out, from the cloth side, OK.

Edited by littlejim

Hi Christian,

be very careful when removing the rear 'chrome' strip.

It is not chromed mild steel but stainless. If you bend/kink it, it will be difficult to sort out as it is a much 'stiffer' material.

It will probably have some sealant type material under it holding it in place

Roger

Hi Christian,

be very careful when removing the rear 'chrome' strip.

It is not chromed mild steel but stainless. If you bend/kink it, it will be difficult to sort out as it is a much 'stiffer' material.

It will probably have some sealant type material under it holding it in place

Roger

They are held on with clips, same as saloon fore and aft trims.

Stuart.

Might it be best for me to leave it in place? Maybe I'll give it a little tap...

Unless there is any visible corrosion around it leave it in place and mask round it. I do remove them but is is not a job for the faint hearted and can be very very difficult to replace.

Stuart.

strip.jpg

The strip tapped back on OK. Only hiccup was that in the healthy Canberra air it had grown a quarter of an inch since coming off. I had to trim a bit off (in the piccie) and crimp the end again.

Removal and replacement seemed straightforward; I struck no difficulty that would put me off removing it before painting. (By now my skill levels are known and rated at about C minus.)

I'm about to try Duts' recommendations(separate post) on reducing a few wrinkles in the headliner.

(you can see a bit of the blasting garnet on the ground; I think cleaning the garage of the stuff will take longer than the restoration has.)

Edited by littlejim