Dear informed ones..........

I have a crankshaft rear seal conversion that has started to leak.

My plan is to remove the gearbox, sump and rear bearing cap in order to remove the ally seal housing, seal etc and renew.

Thing is, can I change the seal by this method? or is it engine out time?

here's hoping, Tony

Although it wasn't converted to lip seal, I have replaced 2 alloy shells in situe, by removing the gearbox, sump, clutch and flywheel on a TR3A.

It shouldn't be more difficult with a converted seal ;)

Hope this help,

Chris.

How sure are you that it is the modern seal which is leaking ? Could it be from somewhere else and it's dripping off the bottom of the bell housing - therefore you might be mis-diagnosing the source. The gasket on the front of the gearbox could be leaking, The front rubber seal for the gearbox might have become cut when it was installed if you or someone did not temporarily tape (Or a heavy vinyl bag) over the splines to protect the rubber seal from getting cut on the sharp corners of the splines on the front end of the input shaft for the gearbox just before sliding the rubber seal into place. Did they put copper sealing flat washers under the bolt heads and torque these bolts all to the right torque to compress the copper washers to prevent leaking ? Did they use steel flat washers or alternatively lock washers, both of which would cause it to leak.

Is the oil clean like it comes from the gearbox ?

Remove the semi-oval cover for the exposed bottom of the bell housing and check if the oil is on the engine side of the back of the flywheel. If it's dry, it may mean that your rear seal is not leaking.

Is the oil leak from the fitting which goes up to the oil pressure gauge ? Is it the rear cam-shaft seal in the head dripping down to the rear of the engine block ? Is it your pan gasket or bolts ? Might it be leaking from the edges of the gasket for the petrol pump and dripping down ?

Don raises some valid points that need to be checked.

I remember a little while ago there were comments on the machining

required for the modern type seal. It seems that some of the figures

given for machining tolerances were suspect.

You certainly need to check out all the items that Don mentioned before

anything else, as there is no quick or easy way to check the machining

that was done previously.

AlanR

• 7 months later...