I thought your faithful hound Grommit might do a bit too, while you're asleep, in return for all those hours riding shotgun in the TR.

Nope he makes it worse "Flippin dog hairs" ;):lol::lol:

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I never realised that a swept floor on a garage could lead to so much discussion If it makes everyone feel a bit better I am happy to drop some stuff on the floor and take a picture that makes me look a bit more normal. biggrin.gif

Not much to report this weekend I did flick the switch to wind over the motor and get the oil pressure up in prep for start up. It shot up to just over 70lbs then when i went to put fuel in I found my brass fuel cut off valve leaked everywhere. so I've had to take that back out and look at. I suspect the cork washer is a bit dry.

I never realised that a swept floor on a garage could lead to so much discussion If it makes everyone feel a bit better I am happy to drop some stuff on the floor and take a picture that makes me look a bit more normal. biggrin.gif

Not much to report this weekend I did flick the switch to wind over the motor and get the oil pressure up in prep for start up. It shot up to just over 70lbs then when i went to put fuel in I found my brass fuel cut off valve leaked everywhere. so I've had to take that back out and look at. I suspect the cork washer is a bit dry.

If its an original fuel shut off then they always did leak like sieves. I believe Don did have an answer for that a while back and Menno has a modern tap on his. The repro corks available now arent very good as the quality of cork these days is hopeless. You could try taking the cork out and dropping it into a pan of boiling water for a bit and then refitting it. This makes them swell up.

Stuart.

I had some problems with modern day cork parts in my SUs. I contacted a Dutch company, much like Burlen in the UK. The guys at the phone asked my how long my car hadn't been running (the problems started after pulling the car out of hibernation in April). These little cork items appear to tear due to modern fuel additives. The guys at the SU company advised me to mount new corks, after they had been soaked in SU-pot oil for at least 24 hrs.

Don mentioned Viton replacements. Viton is a modern day's fuel resistant material, used for sealing. I started a search on the internet for these Viton seals and in the end, I found something else: in the long run, even Viton isn't fuel resistant. I found a guy who put me in contact with a guy in Maine (USA) who produces special SU seals made of a material what I can only discribe as 'Viton 2.0'. The guy combines his knowledge of chemical industry with driving British classic cars. He had been on the same path in the past: failing cork seals -> Viton seals that failed after a few years. That how he started the search for long lasting replacements. And what's more: his product for my SUs is cheaper than the cork seals...

Here's how my search started: SU fuel pumps (WARNING: MG content!)

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij

Thanks Peter, That was my first home restoration project. Like the Tr it took a few years, finished it about 4/5 years ago I expect the Tr will be a lot more fun to drive once its finished.

Stuart I'll try the boiling water bit but I say mennos tap on his postings over the weekend s I am looking for something similar at the same time just in case.

cheers

mennos tap on his postings over the weekend s I am looking for something similar at the same time just in case

If you're unable to source one, I'll be happy to help you: buying one here and sending it to you. I did this for a fellow TR restorer in the US a few months back.

Menno

Thanks Menno, have found a replacement tap that will do quite well if I cant get the original tap to work out, so alls good thanks

Cheers

Thanks Menno, have found a replacement tap that will do quite well if I cant get the original tap to work out, so alls good thanks

Cheers

My tap leaked many years ago and I made a temporary fix using plumbers PTFE tape wrapped round the cork - after over 80,000 miles the temporary seal still works!!!

regards,

John

Thanks john

I can give that a try and see how it goes

Cheers