Indicators and Horn - how to achieve..

Hi,

Looking for advice again (and thanks to all who have responded to previous advice requests).

My 2, nearing the end of re-assembly after a full rebuild, has a rack and pinion conversion from Moss.

Has anyone any advice and/or experience that they can share on how to achieve indicators and a horn push? I also need to source a steering wheel as my original doesn't fit the splines (not sure why, perhaps the original was for an adjustable column?)

So any advice on a wheel to purchase that can accommodate solutions for the indicators and a horn push will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod

Hi,

Looking for advice again (and thanks to all who have responded to previous advice requests).

My 2, nearing the end of re-assembly after a full rebuild, has a rack and pinion conversion from Moss.

Has anyone any advice and/or experience that they can share on how to achieve indicators and a horn push? I also need to source a steering wheel as my original doesn't fit the splines (not sure why, perhaps the original was for an adjustable column?)

So any advice on a wheel to purchase that can accommodate solutions for the indicators and a horn push will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod

There is a number of solutions fro a single indicator stalk and a push button horn switch on the dash. To my own style which is the combined indicator/headlamp dip/horn and wiper/washer switch from a mk3 Mini. That unit if you remove the self cancelling slip ring from the centre will fit over the top column and clamp on behind the wheel. Standard Lucas wiring and then gives you all the controls in the same place as a modern car.

Stuart

patricstr2019.jpg

Hi,

Thanks,

Rod

Hi Rod

I have a Moto Lita wheel and hub on my TR3A with the horn push in the middle. I also have a TR Bitz R&P steering conversion and I have made my own stalk on the column for the indicators off a TR4. With my idea you don't need to make any more holes in the dashboard.

For you info, the adjustable column has twice as long a spline section for the wheel, so it is easily recognised.

Dave

Hello Rod,

I use a Moto-Lita wheel with their boss and horn push. My indicators are done with a good quality metal ON-OFF-ON toggle switch in the overdrive hole on the RH side of the dash.

(My overdrive switch is on the gearknob) This arrangement is obviously not self cancelling, but I have got used to it and it works for me.

A question for you please: - Did you find the Moss R&P too long? I have tried all combinations of steering arms, but even with the track rod end wound fully in the car is still very toed out and not driveable. Grateful for any advice

Best regards,

Willie Felger

1959 TR3A UDM322

A question for you please: - Did you find the Moss R&P too long? I have tried all combinations of steering arms, but even with the track rod end wound fully in the car is still very toed out and not driveable. Grateful for any advice

Best regards,

Willie Felger

1959 TR3A UDM322

They do need the rod ends cutting down and rethreading. This should have been done already prior to delivery but I have had them like that before. Make sure that your steering arms are as far out towards the disc backing plates as possible as this lessens "Bump steer"

Stuart

Dear Stuart,

Thanks for your advice. Apologies - mine is a TR Bitz kit supplied by TRGB.

I'll grind a bit off my existing spacers to get the arms as close as poss to the uprights, but it won't be much.

I have e-mailed TBitz and will call them tomorrow, but my immediate reaction is that having to modify a £400 "bolt on" kit by doing such basic things to it is not impressive.

I spoke to Clive Manvers who can bend the steering arms on a jig - do you know anything about this tweak?

Thanks again,

Willie

Dear Stuart,

Thanks for your advice. Apologies - mine is a TR Bitz kit supplied by TRGB.

I'll grind a bit off my existing spacers to get the arms as close as poss to the uprights, but it won't be much.

I have e-mailed TBitz and will call them tomorrow, but my immediate reaction is that having to modify a £400 "bolt on" kit by doing such basic things to it is not impressive.

I spoke to Clive Manvers who can bend the steering arms on a jig - do you know anything about this tweak?

Thanks again,

Willie

The usual mod is to swop the arms side for side and then use smaller spacers. I know Revingtons bend the arms for their kits and are supposedly having some different arms made to suit but their kit is a weld on one.I have used the TR Bitz kit which I believe is actually originally from Bastuck but The car I fitted it to had the 3 degree mod as well so I used TR4 steering arms. I think I still had to trim the ends off a gnats though.

Stuart.

Stuart,

Your Mk 111 Mini solution for the indicators and horn for R&P steering looks very neat, do you know if the earlier mini column controls also fit?

Thanks

Paul

Stuart,

Your Mk 111 Mini solution for the indicators and horn for R&P steering looks very neat, do you know if the earlier mini column controls also fit?

Thanks

Paul

The MK 1 Mini only had the little stalk with the flashing green light on the end for indicators, not sure when the combination indicators/headlamp dip/flash/wiper/washers set up came in but the column is the same I think right through the Mini range so no real reason why not. I just went for that model as they come up the same as most modern cars so no confusion going from one to the other and they have the same standard Lucas wiring colours so easy to wire up. I also needed the hole in the dash where the wiper switch was for something else and the owner wanted a foot rest where the standard dipswitch is located. :o

Stuart

Thanks to Stuart, everyone for the help and advice.

Willie - I think that your question has been answered - on my car the swapping of the arms and spacers solved the problem. The car is still with the restorer and so I can only go on his comments that it did the trick - we haven't got the car back and running yet so I hope I'm not going to find any issues when we get to that point.

You might find this link to another thread useful:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=21826

Rod