Might be a silly question. What brake fluid are people using in their 7s? DOT 3 or DOT 4 or even DOT 5

Normal circumstances DOT4 or for race applications DOT5.1

DOT 5 is silicon fluid and in my book not recommended. If you do insist on using Silicon then start from scratch with all new rubbers that are compatible with silicon and clean lines etc.

Stuart

Edited by stuart

Hi Wayne,

DOT 5.1 is the 'same' as DOT 4, but designed for ABS etc.

So any TR without ABS should funtion perfectly well on DOT 4 rather than DOT 5.1 - it's probably cheaper as well.

Computer still sick

Roger

For racing purposes I'd be looking at proper competition brake fluid that will withstand the temperatures generated by braking from race speeds, along with the appropriate pads. Neither competition fluids nor pads, for various good reasons, are remotely suitable for normal road use.

Dot 5.1 has an appreciably higher boiling point, dry and wet, than Dot 4 - this is significant, particularly if you are using harder than standard pads and doing a bit of Alp storming. Dot 4, fresh, is quite adequate for the working temperature range of standard pads - by the time the Dot 4 boils, the pads will have overheated. Harder 'sports' pads will work to a higher temperature, beyond the boiling point of Dot 4, and up to or beyond the boiling point of Dot 5.1.

If you pedal your TR moderately on standard brakes, Dot 4 is fine. If you thrash it, particularly with upgraded brakes, there is little point in using anything less than Dot 5.1.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Stuart,

most people swear by the brakes they are using -some actually swear at the brakes they are using.

I use 'green stuff' and haven't got a problem (road use, with attitude)

Others prefer the response from the Mintex range.

I'm sure you will get a few recommendations.

Roger - still with sick computor