Having replaced the slave cylinder on my clutch I am still getting air into the system and after about 400 miles start to loose clutch throw. So today I tried to replace the master cylinder seals with the cylinder still mounted in the car. No problem removing the actuating rod complete after removing the circlip (system drained of fluid)but the plunger and the rest of the internals won't extract from the front of the casting although there appears to be nothing stopping it, what am I missing. The seal kit I got from Rimmers only has two seals, is that correct ?

Thanks Dave

Hi Dave,

Bascilly nothing. A bit of corrosion and general muck is probably all thats hanging on to the piston. If you had the m/cyl out on the bench, a sharp tap down on a block of wood will shock the piston out. As the m/cyl is still in situ, air pressure is about the only thing will move the piston. This will undoubtably be messy, ie; corrossive hydraulic fluid all over your nice paintwork. If you do manage to get the piston out in situ, and do the necessary repairs, on replacing the pushrod and circlip, make sure the circlip is properly seated, it's a bit of a sod if this comes apart will your going along. And yes, there are two seals in the kit.

Cheers, peterm

Having replaced the slave cylinder on my clutch I am still getting air into the system and after about 400 miles start to loose clutch throw. So today I tried to replace the master cylinder seals with the cylinder still mounted in the car. No problem removing the actuating rod complete after removing the circlip (system drained of fluid)but the plunger and the rest of the internals won't extract from the front of the casting although there appears to be nothing stopping it, what am I missing. The seal kit I got from Rimmers only has two seals, is that correct ?

Thanks Dave

I'd remove it. The fluid does a nasty job on the paint. I don't recall the number of seals (It's been a while) but it does seem that I had to resort to a bit of compressed air (carefully) to get the piston assembly out of mine. Tom Mulligan

Take it off and then throw it in the bin and buy yourself a new one. Re-sealing wont last long and is usually a waste of time.

Stuart.

I managed this by using a magnetic pick up which I had purchased from an autojumble. It is primarily for picking up small parts which fall into inaccessible corners.

I pushed it in and it withdrew the piston in seconds. Replacing the seals was a 15 minute project. It is just a shame that the leak, which alerted me to the need for overhaul, has damaged the paint.

Good luck. :)

Thanks for your help and advice,I was trying to avoid removing the lot including the brake cylinder but maybe that's the way to go. Also the 50 quid price tag for a new cylinder from Moss led me to replacing the seals first, but I bet Stuart is right in the end. Richard I have one of those magnetic devices so will give that a go and see what happens,

All the best Dave

Thanks for your help and advice,I was trying to avoid removing the lot including the brake cylinder but maybe that's the way to go. Also the 50 quid price tag for a new cylinder from Moss led me to replacing the seals first, but I bet Stuart is right in the end. Richard I have one of those magnetic devices so will give that a go and see what happens,

All the best Dave

Try TR Shop as they will beat that price. Experience has shown that resealing doesnt tend to last long and due to the location and the fact that the cylinder is fed from the main reservoir its better to only do it once.

Stuart.

Clutch and brake master cylinders removed, finally got the clutch cylinder apart, as suggested crud stopping the piston. Have fitted new seals but will make this unit my emergency spare, new cylinder ordered from tr shop, plenty of time to get things back together before the Traw's weekend,

Thanks Dave